“An imperfect but pleasant experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Jackson Grill
Ranked #113 of 1,503 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Soups
Wisconsin
“An imperfect but pleasant experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

A recent PBS show about Wisconsin supper clubs made us interested in trying the Jackson Grill. In case you don't know about the Midwestern supper club tradition picture an independently owned restaurant (rather than a chain) which has a limited menu of well-prepared, American food (often steaks, ribs, or fish) usually with some dishes established as beloved specials of the house. Often there is an interesting decor of local or personal interest. The emphasis is always on personable service in which the owner and staff often know their customers quite well, or greet new ones as friends to be made. In Wisconsin, the bar also plays an important role. Not only do people look forward to gathering for a drink before being seated, they expect the bartender to mix drinks by hand rather than using little computerized squirts. I have reviewed several other supper clubs, some of which I like better than the Jackson Grill, but overall, our evening there was a pleasant experience.
It was not at all difficult to find, just a few blocks east on Mitchell Boulevard off the Miller Parkway but it is small so be sure to make reservations. We were warmly greeted immediately upon entering the bar, invited to sit while we waited for our table to clear, and easily found a place to hang our coats. The bar is almost as large as the table area, very comfortable and very pretty with low lighting sparkling off the owner's lovely colored glass collection. But the drinks were a little disappointing, a little weaker than expected.
Finding dry olive pits on the serving plate of our complimentary bowl of olives was a bad mistake. Our server took it away immediately but this was a shaky start.
We shared two appetizers, some rather ordinary crab cakes which one of our party really loved and an unusual escargot which I loved. Served in a hot, little, trefoil dish, twelve snails were nestled in herbed butter and whole cloves of garlic, the whole dish topped with a sautéed portabella mushroom cap. The combination of garlic spread over the toast, topped with buttery snail and mushroom was delicious.
Entrees are served with a choice of soup or salad and one of the side choices. Those with salad found them crisp and ordinary. My request for two sides instead was happily granted by our friendly server and I was pleased to have the large, crisp cooked broccoli as my green. Those with scallops were delighted with the browned, sweet fish but especially liked the risotto, comfortably soft and warm with nuggets of roasted vegetables. My peppered fillet was fork tender; they must have an excellent source for meat. And the macaroni with cheese, a side dish of bow-tie pasta folded in a tangy smooth cheese sauce was a really unexpected treat.
Of course we had to try dessert, sharing a strawberry napoleon and a piece of carrot cake, both at least four inches high. Our server laughed at our gasps saying, "I always warn people the desserts are big enough to share, but they still always do that!"
The balance of portion size, quality, and price is difficult to gage exactly. We would have liked slightly smaller portions and a lower price, but certainly no one will leave hungry. Some attention to a few details would bring this restaurant up to the final star.

• Visited March 2012

wisconsin
“Always a wonderful meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

This was our third, and definitely not our last, visit to Jackson Grill.

My husband ordered the regular filet; I, the filet, with a lobster tail. Each dinner included soup or salad, and a choice of sides.

The salads were delicious; not the run of the mill iceburg lettuce ... Dressings were very flavorful.

Sides varied. We enjoyed our choices of Yukon Golds and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Each dinner included a very large portabella mushroom; what's not to love about them, especially when enjoyed with the steaks, prepared just for you!

The steaks were, and always are, "melt in your mouth" delicious!

The service was very attentive, as usual.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a fine, but not "stuffy", dining experience. I have already given my two grown children gift cards for this establishment! They've loved it here, as well!

I'm looking forward to returning in the very near future!

TIP: Make reservations!

• Visited February 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Just average...not worth the price in my opinion.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

My co-worker and I decided we would seek out a great steak place for our last night in Milwaukee. Many reviews and suggestions by hotel staff suggested Jackson Grill.

As we made our way here, we noticed that the restaurant was located in a not-so-great neighborhood. No matter, we've been to worse areas.

Reservations are highly recommended as the restaurant has very limited dining space. We did not have a reservation but we were able to find a table in the bar when we arrived around 5:15 PM. It quickly filled up while we were there though. So, make a reservation or get there early for bar seating!

We sat down and our friendly waitress came over immediately to take our drink orders. I asked for bottled water but they did not have any. Seriously? They have fancy steakhouse pricing but none of the fancy steakhouse basic amenities one would expect. Good thing I had my own bottle of water out in the car. I did inquire about a beer but they had a very limited selection on tap and in bottles. Their stock was equivalent to what one would find in their local dive bar. Just your typical Miller and Budweiser products along with Guinness, Fat Tire, etc. I passed on the beer.

I noticed the menu featured an American Kobe Filet Mignon for $58. I thought about getting it because I LOVE Kobe beef. I've been getting pretty tired of Filet though and have been trying other cuts. My co-worker ordered it though. I had the Porterhouse which was around $45. He ordered his Filet medium rare and I ordered my Porterhouse medium.

We both had the Cream of Crab soup to start with. It had a good flavor but very little crab in it. I still liked it though and would order it again.

Our steaks came out in a timely manner. The first thing we noticed was how black they were. Very charred. The insides were perfectly cooked but the outside was just...charcoal! We both immediately commented how these great cuts appeared to be ruined. After the first couple of bites we both agreed that they were indeed poorly prepared. We mentioned this to the waitress and she apologized but said that was how everyone liked them prepared. Really? Most steak places I go to that feature great steaks, and are known for them, do not prepare them this way. Sorry!

Our total bill was well over $100. Totally not worth it. Oh, and they do not accept American Express as payment either. I don't blame them though. If I was running a business I wouldn't take AMEX either. I wish my company would give us Mastercard or Visa.

This was an average dining experience at best. This place definitely does not live up to the hype.

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank waveoff
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Exceptional Steaks, tucked away in south side of Milwaukee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Heard about this from my Doctor. Small house in a south side residential neighborhood. Small dining room with 10 tables and bar. Some of the best steak I've ever had. Call for reservations. Some what pricey but worth the money. Now that smoking is not allowed in Wisconsin restaurants the atmosphere is pleasing.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“I Never Knew This Place Existed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

I happened across "Wisconsin Supper Clubs" on Milwaukee Public Television. I grew up in Wisconsin and frequented many Supper Clubs that are no longer in existence. So I watched a wonderful program, which visited a number of Supper Clubs throughout the state, including Jackson Grill in Milwaukee. I've lived on the north side all of my life, and never knew this place was in town and open. Not only open, but serving some of the best steaks in town. When I entered, I stepped squarely into the 1950's. The place is small, nice bar in the front room, 10 tables in the dining room in the rear. This was my first visit, yet I was greeted as if I'd been dining there every week for a year. The staff was fun, friendly and efficient. Our server couldn't do enough for us, but wasn't pesky. I had the NY Strip. Perfectly cooked, but too big to eat at one sitting. Juicy, delicious and tender. My guest had the Filet. It was melt-in-your-mouth tender, and filled with flavor. Both steaks came with a portobello mushroom cap the size of a Big Mac bun. In itself, it could have been a meal. We both had the garlic mashed, good, but a bit light on the garlic. This place is known for steak, but the menu listed other interesting entrees that require a return visit. And of course, I'll have to come back for another steak as well. But next time, I'll make a reservation.

• Visited September 2011