“Want a burger? Don't go to the Chancery”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chancery Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #507 of 1,518 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Pub
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Want a burger? Don't go to the Chancery”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've had my last burger at the Chancery - If you've got a burger craving this is not the place to go-honestly I'm not sure how a burger could be this lacking in flavor. It's a convenient place for me so I've been back a few times and I keep hoping they'll get it right, but really, next time I'll go out of my way for a burger that is actually good enough to justify the calories. This one is utterly flavorless. The Chancery is really lackluster - it seems to me the priority is not on food quality but just on getting people fed.

• Visited April 2013

Wisconsin
“Nice place to meet in the bar on a Saturday afternoon”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We meet family and friends there around 4 on a Saturday afternoon We had nachos and string onions. One of the party had a bowl of jumbulia soup and said it was very good. A neat bar because it has a 1909 Brunswick back bar that has some great history about it. (see plack on bar rail). A good place to stop that was clean and not crowded.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Just Average”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

You know, I do not usually frequent places like the Chancery. That is not to say I don't enjoy local restaurants with comfort food selections - it just that I am more partial to Farm-to-Table, micro-sourced restaurants.

Now - with my snob disclaimer statement made right up front, I must say that the Chancery is a really, okay, decent, get-your-comfort-on sort of place.

The atmosphere is a bit surreal. Almost a Denny's meets an Apple-bees in an alley and decides to remake itself into a corner pub. The dishes (the actual dish-ware) is all plastic. This was a bit of a surprise for me (as I last ate on plastic dish-ware in my Junior High school cafeteria) - but it was by no stretch of the imagination a "deal breaker."

I went to the Chancery on a business lunch. Our intent was to get a quick bite before heading back to a meeting in the afternoon. True to form, the server quickly came to our table and took our orders. In what seemed like only a couple of minutes, our salads (I ordered a Cobb and my colleague ordered the Avocado Salad) magically appeared at the table. Within another 15-minutes the check appeared. Not one moment of this felt rushed or out of sequence. Rather, it felt like the Chancery staff were fully rehearsed in the "business lunch" shuffle.

The food was good - but by no stretch of the imagination great. The service was very friendly and timely. Overall, this was a nice place to gain some calories and prepare for an afternoon meeting.

The Chancery is a solid 3-star establishment.

• Visited March 2013
Okeechobee, Florida
“WI Birthday party”
Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Not a bad place to gather with friends. .........................

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Terrible service; better options nearby”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have eaten at The Chancery in Tosa a handful of times. Recently I went there; it was late in the lunch time frame and it was not busy. It took over five minutes for my server to even acknowledge my presence and when he did so he barely spoke while taking my order. The shrimp BLT was good, and spicy, so could he bother asking if I needed more to drink, especially given that I put my empty glass at the edge of the table where he couldn't miss it? Nope...I had to practically tackle him to get his attention. Then it seemed like it was a huge inconvenience for him. Very disappointing especially since I had a rare afternoon to go out for lunch and I chose the Chancery. Don't worry, Chancery waiter, I won't be inconveniencing you any more. There are too many dining options in the downtown Tosa area to put up with crappy service.

• Visited June 2012