“Not Bad, Not Great, Watch Your Beef!”
Review of Japanica

Japanica
Ranked #239 of 1,527 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Wisconsin
“Not Bad, Not Great, Watch Your Beef!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

16 of us went for the hibachi style dinner. Two cooks brought out the food and cooked it right in front of us. The 8 kids loved the "show"! Very entertaining and fun! Food was very good, maybe a bit pricey. Service was a bit disjointed but the atmosphere was nice. A couple adults ordered the "Filet" and a couple others ordered the "Steak". They are priced differently, Filet being higher. The cook spilled out the pre-cut diced beef from one container, then cooked it and stirred it all together. When it was time, the same beef went to both the people that ordered the filet as well as the people who ordered the steak. I didn't realize this until I got home and reviewed the receipt. I had to take one point off for this. Knowing now what I do, I would still go back there, however.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Hawk42Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best sushi around”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I live only a mile away from the restaurant and it's one of our favorite places to get something to eat. Service is quick and friendly. Lots of waiters so never have to wait long for seating or refills. Prices are reasonable. Must have the garden salad, the ginger dressing tips to die for.

Visited February 2014
“WORST Restaurant EVER.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Been to this place two times and had the worst experience EVER. I am definitely not a customer anymore. The first time I went, the waitress got my order wrong & when the food came to our table, I told the waitress to switch it but when she told her manager, she insisted that I pay for what I got. They were unable to accommodate me & even though it was THEIR fault, she had the nerves to give our table an attitude like we were at fault since I wanted to switch my food.
The second time we went, we ordered two spider rolls (one was for us to eat now & the other was to go but we told the waitress to not put that order in until we were ready) and when we were almost done, we decided that we didn't want to order the other spider roll anymore since it didn't taste good (compared to other sushi restaurants). When our waitress told the manager, she had the nerves to tell us that we have to pay for it NO MATTER what because they already made it in the kitchen but we didn't even tell the waitress to put that order in yet ! The manager was so rude & unprofessional. She thought that she had the rights to force us to pay even though it was their fault for making it ahead. That wasn't the only mistake they made that day; when we first place our order, our waitress gave my sister the WRONG dish. We asked her to adjust it and she said that they can't do that since they already made it. I was so irritated at how much excuses they have for all their mistakes !
HORRIBLE SERVICE &
HORRIBLE PRICES for foods that didn't even taste as good as the amount of money I spent on it.
Be warn.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank ChewyYang
Columbus, Georgia
“Best sushi we've found in WI.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Coming from the East Coast we're spoiled with delicious sushi and had yet to find an excellent sushi place. This is the 1 place we will return to. We're still talking about how good it was!!

• Visited August 2013
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Extremely picky, but passed!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I am very picky on the places I typically dine at, especially when it comes to sushi. Living in Milwaukee, it is incredibly hard to find decent sushi no where near a coast. Letting go of my sushi freak status for one night, my boyfriend and I decided to try his favorite sushi place, which happens to be Japanica.

Walking in, I was very skeptical, the decor was mediocre, but the staff was very prompt and delightful. My immediate thought was a glass of wine!! The wine selection wasn't the greatest, but doable.

We ordered edamame, which you can't really do wrong, and 3 specialty rolls. All which were a great size, great taste, one poorly rolled, but definitely will return.

• Visited July 2013