“Good for a novice like me.”
Review of Maharaja

Maharaja
Reserve with OpenTable
Maharaja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #198 of 1,629 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Albion & Brady
Transit: 30 Farwell & Albion
Description: Voted "Best of Milwaukee" consecutively for 19 years! Milwaukee's Premier Indian Restaurant Maharaja meaning great king features traditional Indian cuisine inspired by the most northern regions of Punjab and Rajasthan, to the more southern regions of Bengaluru and Tamil Nadu. Maharaja will truly take you on a culinary journey through the largely diverse subcontinent of India.
Reviewed July 29, 2018

1 or both owners are usually there during lunch.The food is good ,that is coming from someone with limited experience with Indian cooking. I go for the lunch buffet if I am reasonable close by to East side.The buffet was a good introduction. I will continue to stop there in the future. Its about 2-3 times a year.

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

This was our go-to Indian restaurant. We live in Cedarburg and I’d order carry out on my way home. Amazing food! However, our last two carry out orders were so disappointing. The sauces were bland, the naan was either the wrong order or they changed the recipe, the malai kofta was made differently and the sauce tasted and looked like a korma sauce. I actually recooked the food to make it taste better. My husband thought my version was great. Something has drastically changed at the restaurant. So sad to see.

MAHARAJA M, Owner at Maharaja, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2018

Thank you for dining with us Michelle. Although we have not received any similar feedback from recent diners, we do value your personal opinions. If you could kindly email us at info@maharajarestaurants.com, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to follow up with you on your experience.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

My friend and I had a hankering for Indian food and saw this was rated highly. We were staying at a downtown hotel and it was about a 10 minute cab ride. We had dinner here-rather large restaurant. We tired the tandoori platter as an appetizer--very good. You can get curries with different meats. They serve complimentary pappadums--oddly they are rolled up--never seen that before--usually served flat. I asked for my dish to be made spicy and it was right on target--not too hot but not mild. Our dish was served with rice. Overall a solid meal.

MAHARAJA M, Owner at Maharaja, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2018

Thank you so much for dining with us! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience and hope to see you again soon! The complimentary Papad we serve is roasted in our Tandoor oven rather than fried, which is what you're referring to. If you prefer fried Papad, we can most certainly accommodate, just let your server know the next time you visit!

Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

Located in what feels like a student housing area, we approached with a bit of trepidation, not knowing if this would be a student dive or not. Adding to that, we came straight from a matinee performance, so the early evening hour made for a rather empty restaurant. However, despite the lack of people and a general lack of decor, this turned out to be a wonderful choice for Indian cuisine. We shared the Tandoori Sampler and an order of Navratan Korma - spicy fresh vegetables, cashew nuts and cream over basmati rice. The meal started with a free offering of two crisp Naan rolled up with a mint and other type of sweet sauce. The sampler platter arrived providing ample selections of 4 different offerings, with both chicken choices tender, flavorful and juicy - absolutely outstanding. The shrimp and lamb offerings were just okay - seeming a bit overdone. The vegetable dish was almost my favorite. Spicy but not too spicy and just an amazing blend of flavors. All in all a marvelous and authentic meal.

Reviewed February 19, 2018

We ordered vegetarian entrees - Korma and Malai Kofta. Also received the papad with chutneys and rice and paratha. We've had a lot of good Indian food over the years. This was very good - maybe not the best but you probably won't be disappointed.