“Good Food”

Crazy Water
Ranked #58 of 1,508 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Walker's Point
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Food”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Stopped here before going to see a concert last month and it was our first visit. Started with the chorizo stuffed dates and it did not disappoint. Very good app. Entrees were really good and the service matched. We had a wonderful waiter. However, I was quite disgusted to find a long hair in my dessert. The staff was very apologetic and promptly removed it from the bill. I would definitely go back and keep my fingers crossed that there wont be another hair in my desert.

1 Thank NJI930

Chicago
“Interesting dishes in this small unqiue establishment”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We were driving past Milwaukee and got hungry. We wanted to stop at a unique non-chain restaurant. After doing a bit of online research in the car, Crazy Water seemed to be the choice. Housed, literally in a small house in their downtown area, I would have driven right by this unassuming location. On a Friday night we just walked into this tiny place with no reservations...a mistake off course. However, the owner offered us the bar or patio area and we opted for patio. The patio was quiet, comfy and we would not be sitting on top of others, always a plus.

The place is small (a converted home) and the tables were very close together...I was glad for the open space of the outdoors. Especially since we were the only ones out there. I'm sure that's b/c it was cool and we were the only people that didn't care (seemed to be an older crowd inside)...plus we didn't have many options. :)

The owner was very helpful in recommending her favorites and then our service was taken over by a waitress. The presentation of all the food items was very nice and certainly on-par with a high class establishment....including the prices (much like downtown Chicago pricing at a nice restaurant).

We started off with burgundy escargot with farfalle, tomato concasse, pancetta and burgundy butter sauce. Tender, tasty, unexpected combination and would make a nice main dish!

For our main dishes we had:
lemon-parsley crusted halibut on a bed of wilted spinach, whole grain mustard sauce with frico caldo. The fish was delish and the sauce was not overly mustardy. It was served in a hot skillet, but had a little too much oil at the bottom for my liking. The frico caldo, is like a square potato pancake. It was nice, but it had absorbed a good amount of the oil and ended up tasty rather greasy and mushy.

grilled flat iron steak with blue cheese fritters, port wine balsamic demi-glace, sweet potato gratin and sauteed spinach. The sauce on the steak was a sublime and thoughtful accompaniment. The cheese fritters were decadent, yet light and the sweet potato gratin was cheesy and tasty.

Unfortunately, this dish had come out a little cool and it took away from the taste (it must have sat out a little bit). We had told our waitress earlier that if one dish was ready, she could just bring it out since we share our food anyway, but she said that no, they time it so they are out together....we tried.

Also, the steak had some gristle in it about (1/4 of it) and so that was also disappointing. We didn't say anything about it being cool, but let our waitress know about the gristle, since there were a bunch of chewed up pieces left on the plate. She seemed very nonchalant about it and just said ok and walked away. We didn't make a fuss.

Our waitress had recommended the bread pudding and this is something I absolutely love and get it everywhere I can! We ordered it (door county cherry-chocolate chip bread pudding with bourbon caramel sauce and vanilla custard) and it was ok. I felt like the cherries and bourbon overpowered it. The berries and vanilla ice cream/custard was a nice touch, but it did not compare to other bread puddings I have had.

Overall, it had efficient service, creative food, good atmosphere (outside...off course it was just us!!), reasonable portions and city prices.

I'm sure for Milwaukee this place is top notch. I think it needs some work, but it could eventually hold its own in a big city environment.

If in the area, I suggest you try this place out. Reservations are essential on a weekend!!!

Kenosha, WI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Fantastic!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

So, my husband and I are rather picky about where we eat -- picky meaning we expect high standards of ingredients, presentation, preparation, etc. We usually end up disappointed. Believe me when i say this is one of the best meals we've had in Wisconsin, without a doubt.

1 Thank bobbysiugirl
No California
“Great food in a unique atmosphere1”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is a wonderful small restaurant serving a variety of seafood options. Definately worth a visit!

San Francisco, California
“Inspired and elegant food, a standout in this town!”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

In a small house sized restaurant in the kind of run down but maybe improving 5th ward is this gem of a restaurant. On a Friday night we ate mixed spring greens with raspberry blue cheese dressing (tangy and stimulating), the chorizo stuffed dates (outstanding, incredible idea), the balsamic sauce flat iron steak (sublime sauce and thoughtful accompaniments), and the door county cherry chocolate bread pudding (sinfully good) along with glasses of fine premium wine. Every item was a huge winner. This is a restaurant that could hold its own in many sophisticated urban environments. It has efficient service, creative food, reasonable but not overwhelming portions and fair urban prices. This is not a large quantity value priced or meat eater paradise (thankfully) but a very classy spot! Two small warnings: The main dining area (a beautiful old ceilinged room) is quite noisy at capacity, a conversation needs some effort and the room is by no means a romantic or intimate space, we can forgive that and in fact the casual urban vibe is reinforced by the boisterous environment. More serious - there is no espresso machine, the coffee was OK but sort of diner quality! That seems like a mistake to me. The bread pudding dessert was screaming to be accompanied by a cappucino. But otherwise, go, go, go to Crazy Water, THE gold star of Milwaukee dining. Reservations essential on a weekend.