“Wow, great food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2012

After reading the other reviews on TripAdvisor I decided to give them a try.

Since I am traveling alone, I decided to order takeout. I ordered the Garlic Naan and an order of Tandoori Mixed Grill - without the shrimp.

They told me that is would be ready in 20 minutes. I arrived a few minutes early, but my food was ready.

The staff was very friendly and the restaurant was clean and very nicely decorated.

The food was great!

In the future I will plan to dine in. Also the portion of the food was large, I could not eat it all. I would suggest sharing this dish!

I will upload photos in a few days.

2  Thank gregbooras

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I have visited this Indian restaurant, others in SE Wis and nationally for many years.

This is our favorite in Milwaukee.
We both have visited it for the lunch buffet ONLY for many, many years.

The seasonings for the Indian food is excellent but not invasive. Although there is an extensive menu, we prefer the lunch buffet for an enjoyable sampling of Indian entrees, soup, salad and desserts.

All tables are neat and have cloth napkins and table coverings.

As with most Indian Restaurants service is attentive BUT NOT OVERLY INTRUSIVE. This is important to realize!

If this is your first Indian lunch buffet, enjoy your dining experience and sample a LITTLE of each item at the buffet to see what you do or do not enjoy, then take more. No one should ever waste food!

Some Americans seem to desire waiters/waitresses hovering over them, we do not. It is VERY easy to get your waiters attention as they are always watching their tables at a comfortable distance. With a polite, quiet glance or nod your waiter will approach.

We always request an order of Naan (no charge) and a Lassi or Mango Lassi ($2.75) with our buffet ($10.56 w/tax). The Naan is warm and tasty and the Lassi is a cool and flavorful.

Although we are +20 miles away we make it a point to try to get to this restaurant on a regular basis for their polite, good service and food in a quiet setting!

Most people dress casual, unless coming for a business lunch.

2  Thank EnjoyLifeNow
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I went on a Sunday afternoon, a little after 2pm. Lunch ends at 3pm.
My water wasn't refilled until I was done with my dinner.
There were no vegetables left in the vegetable Korma.
There was almost no chicken left in the Tikka Masala.
The Naan was hard and crusty. Those are my 3 favorite dishes.
I was very disappointed with that.
The other dishes, like the spinach and the eggplant were good, as usual, but the beans were too thick and gloppy.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

We visited Royal India for the second time last week. Both visits were on a Thursday night and both times there was only 1 other table in the restaurant. In our visits we've tried some of the naans, onion kulcha, papadam and various shrimp, lamb and fish dishes. All good. Although it should be noted that asking for medium spice means it will be a hot and spicey. Not too hot, but hotter possibly than other restaurants. It's what medium hot should be, but many restaurants will err on side of mild because they can always make it hotter if people complain. You can't take the spice away if someone says it's too hot. Not here. You get medium hot.

We are big fans of Maharja on the Eastside and find the food here just as good and the service to be better. Of course our waiter only had 1 other table, but he was not just efficient. He was really friendly and made some good recommendations. I find it odd that both times he has told us that a cash tip is "better for him." But it didn't offend or annoy. He's just trying to make a decent living like the rest of us. The prices seem a tad cheaper than the Eastside as well.

We definitely want to come here more frequently. It's closer to home.

1  Thank CynthaDelTorro
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I visited on a Tuesday night and it was an empty restaurant but the waiter made me feel comfortable.

Papadam was given with Chutneys upon arrival and it was complimentary.

I ordered Vegetable Samosa's but they weren't my favorite. Smaller than I typically have and had a hint of lemon or lime. They were good - just not my favorite.

The entree was Chicken and Spinach and I also had Aloo Paratha. Both of these were terrific and probably my favorite ever!

The Maharaja beer was great. I had always had Taj Mahal and soon learned that Maharaja was just a good.

Total bill was 28.50 including beer, tax and tip.

1  Thank annoddddd