“Just wish I was a local”

Swingin' Door Exchange
Ranked #5 of 1,539 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are located in the historic Mackie Building in downtown Milwaukee. Come visit us for great food, fine spirits, good people and the history of the buildings architecture, as well as the famous "Grain Exchange" located upstairs.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had lunch at the bar, the bartender was very welcoming. I had the hot veggie grilled sandwich with "out of this world" cooked carrots and my husband had the spicy chicken melt with house cut potato chips. We both enjoyed every bite and the local atmosphere too!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stopped in on the walk back to our hotel after a great day at Summerfest. We found a seat immediately and were greeted by our server Emily. My wife ordered a beer and was informed of a great special on that brand that night. We shared the seared Ahi Tuna for starters and I had a burger cooked just the way I wanted it (think pink) and my wife had the Cajun Chicken Melt. Everything was absolutely delicious and the service was perfect. We would definitely return on our next Milwaukee visit.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Found this place after an afternoon at SummerFest 2014. Walking back from the downtown to the car, popped in for a couple of beers and something to eat. Ww were able to get a couple stools at the bar. Great decor and ambiance. Bartender was really personable and great at his job. Place didn't have Summer Shady but he made a homemade one out of a Spotted Cow and lemonade. Ordered four of their Sliders at the suggestion of a couple next to use. Outstanding. I got the Chili which was great. They do their own home made potatoe chips which were alright. Great little place to relax and have a beer and a bite to eat. Highly Recommend!

swingindoorexchange, Owner at Swingin' Door Exchange, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thanks for checking us out and for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I hope you had a great time at the fest too, even though this is the worst weather we've had for summer in years. Hope to see you next time you're in town!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have eaten here a few times and I agree the new owners have made vast improvements. The food is good and at a fair price. To me a dice star rating is for a place like Sanford's. My rating is not meant to be a negative in any way, I just don't get giving a 5 star rating to an establishment that does not hold itself out as a 5 star. Good place, but hardly fine dining. I like the Swinging door and come here for lunch often, but it would not come here if I were looking for 5 star dining. For a good and decent lunch, absolutely!

Thanks for your kind words and explanation. We are glad to have served you, and even happier you were compelled to tell us about your visit. I feel the star rating guidelines, according to trip advisor, are based on your enjoyment and the experience you had with us, as opposed to ZAGAT or a Critics star rating. At any rate, thanks for coming and if you make it back to MKE we hope to serve you again!

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Been going here since the current owners took it over... Consistently good food at reasonable prices. Try the specials, they usually have some unique creations that you can't get anywhere else. They also serve a great brunch on the weekends.... It's truly one of Milwaukee's hidden gems...shhhhh!

1  Thank GregMKE

Thanks for telling us! We are happy to hear you enjoy our place. Hope to see you soon.