“Great choice for vegetarians”

Beans & Barley Market and Cafe
Ranked #68 of 1,629 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed July 27, 2018

This combination of sit-down cafe, deli case to-go, and small store has become my go to spot when I'm in the Northpoint neighborhood. I've had several vegetarian items on the menu and have not been disappointed once. My favorite is the grilled vegetable salad with added portobello mushrooms and bleu cheese. I also found the stir-fry and burritos to be quite tasty. There are plenty of choices for non-vegetarians as well.

Deli case looks tempting, but I have yet to sample. There is a good selection of convenience items and snacks and treats available in the store section too.

Reviewed June 26, 2018 via mobile

Just bought a 6.50 premaid black bean burrito that was in their hot case for who knows how long... And it was the worse burrito I have ever had, I actually got sick. I would stay far far away from this place! Definitely lost me as a customer!

Reviewed June 19, 2018

We've been here a couple of times. The food is always excellent. The wait staff is very well informed and is able to answer questions we had about what was on the menu. The service is great.

We are now regulars :)

Reviewed June 11, 2018

We joined the largely vegan crowd after an early movie. More in the mood for snacks than a big meal, the menu was perfect. The Vegan specialties were particularly good, and all other foods sampled were excellent. The service was adequate, as we were with friends discussing life and matters. My only concern was the noise level, which was too high for a partially filled eatery. I imagine that regular conversation is impossible when things are really busy. All things considered, above average but far from excellent.

1  Thank Doc A
Reviewed April 22, 2018

This past week a student and I had lunch before a film at The Oriental Theatre/Isle of Dogs - I chose B&B because of its proximity to the theatre, yes, but also because I like to take our MKE city students to places that serve healthy foods. I teach self-love and nutrition in my Mindful Yoga class.
I had an open-faced gluten-free tuna melt with extra sprouts, chips and a pickle and the Carmen NW junior had a chicken fajita and a cherry lemonade. The grilled veggies and chicken came with corn tortillas, black bean mash, quac and spicy salsa. She devoured the lunch and commented on the fair pricing at B&B.
I love the open space and the vaulted ceiling in the dining area. The market is always a treat for foods, postcards and gifts.
I knew the old owners, but whomever owns it now has made the place more bright, colorful and clean.
Cera P was our server and she was terrific. Thank you Cera.