“Maders Again”

Cuisines: German, Swiss
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old World 3rd St. and Highland Ave.
Description: Mid-America's most honored German restaurant. Since 1902, this Milwaukee landmark has been serving American Presidents, and celebrities America's finest German cuisine. You'll dine surrounded by a $4 million collection of medieval suits of armor, wood carvings, oil paintings, two-handed swords, crossbows and magnificent stained glass. Ranked by TripAdvisor, and every publication in our state that ranks dining spots as Wisconsin's best German restaurant. Free adjacent parking.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have been to Maders before. It is an old german restaurant that is famous for it’s food. This is true, the food is something very good. Unfortunately they know it and it is very overpriced.

I can speak for the Ritter schnitzer and the weiner schnitzer. One of the people with us swears by the the pork shank. We asked for a beer recommendation by describing what we liked. The beer they suggested was perfect.

A great place to go eat but be aware that it is overpriced. Good food and good service but you pay dearly for it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Maders was recommended by a German friend whose father used to work in the nearby Pfister hotel . Having recently travelled to Germany, it was easy to make a comparison between Maders and authentic German. There is no difference. Maders offerings were as authentic as the food we got in Germany. Had I not known I was in the U.S., I could have easily thought I was at the Ratskeller in Weisbaden, which is what Maders interior reminded me of. The staff was courteous and friendly. The only complaint is one I have with many restaurants in the U.S.; the portion sizes are huge and more than any person needs. My wife and I could have easily shared one meal. I would have preferred a lower price for the meal with a corresponding reduction in portion size.

1  Thank jaimeelsabio
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were really looking forward to having a German dinner here. Both my wife and I were very disappointed. The meals were really not what we thought we would be served. The wine we ordered smelled old as if it came from an open bottle. When the waiter returned with another glass, from a new bottle, nothing had changed. Service was good, and the staff friendly.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Close to major downtown attractions and plenty of atmosphere, Mader's has been local choice since 1902. We happened to be attending a play at Marcus Center and walked over to sample the fare.

My wife and I each enjoyed an early dinner of Weiner Schnitzel, Spatzle and krut. I had a beer from the large selection and onion soup. My wife opted for spinach salad and we split desert of creme brulee. Overall taste was good for all servings, not outstanding. The pretzel rolls were the exception and especially good.

Service was prompt but not quite up to par for a meal that would cost more than $50 each. We did use a discount coupon and we typically let the server know when ordering--not sure if that influenced our service experience. (although we do tip based on the un-discounted total in proportion to the service received).

Over all a good decision and would recommend if your downtown and want the German atmosphere.

1  Thank WiGuy3
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We both had the stuffed mushroom, french onion soup and shared a giant pretzel. They were all delicious. Who knew that you could get a fantastic vegetarian meal at a German restaurant? The pretzel was enormous and was crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Perfect. The soup was amazing. The two of these together were enough for a meal! But the stuffed mushroom was so good, that we decided to overeat. The server was very nice and knowlegeable about the menu items. I would greatly suggest the pretzel, but best as an appetizer for a group of people!