“Mader's Milwaukee, WI”

Cuisines: German, Swiss
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old World 3rd St. and Highland Ave.
Description: Mid-America's most honored German restaurant. Since 1902, this Milwaukee landmark has been serving American Presidents, and celebrities America's finest German cuisine. You'll dine surrounded by a $4 million collection of medieval suits of armor, wood carvings, oil paintings, two-handed swords, crossbows and magnificent stained glass. Ranked by TripAdvisor, and every publication in our state that ranks dining spots as Wisconsin's best German restaurant. Free adjacent parking.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were really looking forward to having a German dinner here. Both my wife and I were very disappointed. The meals were really not what we thought we would be served. The wine we ordered smelled old as if it came from an open bottle. When the waiter returned with another glass, from a new bottle, nothing had changed. Service was good, and the staff friendly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Close to major downtown attractions and plenty of atmosphere, Mader's has been local choice since 1902. We happened to be attending a play at Marcus Center and walked over to sample the fare.

My wife and I each enjoyed an early dinner of Weiner Schnitzel, Spatzle and krut. I had a beer from the large selection and onion soup. My wife opted for spinach salad and we split desert of creme brulee. Overall taste was good for all servings, not outstanding. The pretzel rolls were the exception and especially good.

Service was prompt but not quite up to par for a meal that would cost more than $50 each. We did use a discount coupon and we typically let the server know when ordering--not sure if that influenced our service experience. (although we do tip based on the un-discounted total in proportion to the service received).

Over all a good decision and would recommend if your downtown and want the German atmosphere.

1  Thank WiGuy3
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We both had the stuffed mushroom, french onion soup and shared a giant pretzel. They were all delicious. Who knew that you could get a fantastic vegetarian meal at a German restaurant? The pretzel was enormous and was crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Perfect. The soup was amazing. The two of these together were enough for a meal! But the stuffed mushroom was so good, that we decided to overeat. The server was very nice and knowlegeable about the menu items. I would greatly suggest the pretzel, but best as an appetizer for a group of people!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

After being on the road for three weeks we were looking for a great German restaurant. The Hyatt happened to recommend Mader's.
Atmosphere is nice, very close to the places I expereinced living in Frankfurt.
Beer was good, a nice variety.
Food was okay, nothing to wow about. It was just okay. In my opinion, the portions were small.
Service. This is where Mader's fell way short. Our server was a young lady. There were 6 of us. She would come by ask if we needed anything, if we did you wouldn't see her for another 15 minutes. I had ordered the Weiner Schnitzel and asked for some gravy. She must have forgot because I was half way done, she appeared and I had to ask again..
Paying the bill was a real treat. Despite asking for separate checks we ended up with one. Some wanted to pay cash, other credit card. The server would take each transaction and go to the register, and then come back for the next.
For the price, Mader's was a disappointment.
April 20, 2013, 8:30pm
For the price, Mader's was disappointing.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We took our daughter and her new husband to Mader's on a Saturday afternoon for lunch after they toured the Museum exhibit they wanted to see. We knew they would enjoy the amazing construction and decor in this landmark Milwaukee restaurant. I grew up in Milwaukee and had not been to Mader's in years and so was heartened to find it still existed in the family tradition all these years!

All of us enjoyed our lunch sized portions from schnitzel to sour broughton. For beverages, the ladies quaffed some Lindeman's Belgian Framboise beer and us men enjoyed a large stein of Sprecher lager. Just a very fine dining experience in an old world German atmosphere. Whether visiting in Milwaukee for the first time or returning like I did after a long absence, don't miss out on this unique and vintage Milwaukee landmark restaurant.

Been to Mader's? Share your experiences!