“Feels like you are in Bavaria...and so does the service”
Review of Karl Ratzsch Restaurant - CLOSED

Karl Ratzsch Restaurant
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Old World German restaurant reopened with new menu and new chef/owner Thomas Hauck, features German cuisine in a classic European setting.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The ambiance of this place is truly German. From the log high beam ceiling to the piano player playing Edelweis. Our dinner was very early because we were attending a comedy show, so we walked in on a very old crowd not very busy.

However, around 6:30 the place was hopping and they ran out of one of their speicials (not sure how that happens on Saturday night at 6:30). So that was a negative.

The food was good, although I had the crispy skin pork shank and it wasn't quite what I expected (I don't know what I was expecting). It was like a huge bone slung on my plate with a crispy fried chicken skin. Tasted a bit like fried pork rinds (of course). This was served with sauerkraut (very good) and a dumpling (not so good). Once I figured out how to remove the skin and get to the meat it was tender and well cooked, but by then it was kind of too late.

Anyway, for the true German ambiance I will give it a very good. Our waitress was not great, very slow and not so friendly.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Four of us came to dinner at Karl Ratzsch's restaurant on Halloween night 2012. Three of us were newbies here. I had the Braised Stuffed Pork Chop $24.00 - Tender Pork Chop stuffed with Old Fashioned Dressing and served with Sauerkraut, Homemade Apple Sauce and Spätzle
It was delicious. Two people had Black Forest Schnitzel $27.95 - Breaded Pork Cutlet layered with Smoked Ham, Swiss Cheese, spinach, and Mushroom Sauce, served over Spätzle, and the guy with us who is a regular here had Wiener Schnitzel a la Holstein $27.00 which is a breaded pork cutlet topped with fried egg, anchovies and capers served with steamed vegetables and Potato Dumpling.

The prices shown are the full price dinner fare prices. From 4:30 - 6:00 during the week, all of those dishes and more are available for $17.95 on the "Early Dinner" menu.

For desert we all had coffee which tasted a bit burnt and some wonderful sweet treats. Bread pudding, a chocolate eclair and apple strudel were all very fresh and tasty.

I can't wait to go back. Everything I saw leave the kitchen looked fabulous! This place and its cool, old world decor are quite charming and it is definitely a treat.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love going to KR's and then walking across the street to the cheese store and the Usingers outlet to get my cheese and sausage fix all in one visit without moving the car. The food has always been excellent and predictable. A sure visit each time I'm in Milwaukee.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

While visiting Milwaukee I made it a point to look for done good and authentic German food. This restaurant offers what I was looking for. The food has been adapted to local tastes with more cheese in / on done of the dishes than you would see in Germany. Try the haxe and the sauer braten, both very good. The appetizers were in a class of their own. The meatballs koenigsberg style and the sauerkraut cheese dip are in a class of their own. Well worth s visit.

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Atmosphere was good. Service was so slow. It took 1/2 our for the salad. I asked our server for a breakfast menu. She asked why. I said because by the time i get my dinner, it will be time for breakfast.