“a favorite for German food”
Review of Karl Ratzsch Restaurant - CLOSED

Karl Ratzsch Restaurant
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Old World German restaurant reopened with new menu and new chef/owner Thomas Hauck, features German cuisine in a classic European setting.
Madison, Wisconsin
“a favorite for German food”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is my personal favorite for German food. The staff is always very courteous and helpful and the sauerbraten is always excellent. That's what I always order but my husband has been happy with the pork shank and several other choices. Every meat we've had has been done perfectly. We've never been to Germany but I always feel like we're pretty close when the servers come to the table in traditional German dress and the decor matches that I've seen in travel movies of Germany. Food is very reasonably priced for the quality and quantity. We've never been able to manage dessert :-)

Visited September 2012

• Korean first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Excellent food, worth the trip”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Husband lived in Germanynand loves the food. Always eat here at least once when we visit. Beautiful decor, servers in traditional dress, tasty homemade food. Our party Had brats, beer, schnitzle, beef that pulled away tenderly, seafood, vegetarian. Desserts are huge and rich, but worth orderring sinceyou're already there. Makes for a mice leaisurely dinner. bring a credit card becaus quality Geman food has comparable prices.

• Visited September 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Best sauerbraten this side of the Atlantic!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The entrees are a little pricey here, but very much worth it. I have ordered the Sauerbraten on every visit because it is the best I've had outside of Germany. They bring you a knife, but you won't need it - the sauerbraten melts in your mouth. I recommend substituting the potato dumpling with spaetzle (not because there's anything wrong with the dumplings - just because I love spaetzle). Also, good tasting red cabbage is almost impossible to find. Theirs is almost as good as my mom's, but still ten times better than any other red cabbage I've ever had in a restaurant. The old world atmosphere is great, too: a lot of wood and german decor without being kitschy. My favorite place to go on a special occasion in Milwaukee!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Welsher
Plattsburgh, New York
“Great Traditional Food”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I hosted a dinner for 25 people recently. We were given a private room upstairs with two wait staff assigned to our group. The service was excellent, but we were there for close to 3 hours. I had been told that it would have been quicker if we selected a more limited menu, but I chose to have my guests order from the main menu.
I was glad we did! People seemed genuinely happy with the food, even a vegetarian friend. Dinner with drinks and appetizers was about $50 per person which was very reasonable.
No one had room for dessert!

• Visited September 2012
Villa Park, Il
“Good German restaurant”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had chicken schnitzel and roulaudin. Both came with spaetzle and red cabbage. Service was okay. They made a big deal that we didn't have reservations at 5:30 pm on a Thursday, but the place while busy was not that crowded with empty tables the whole time we were there. Would certainly go back.

Visited August 2012