“Nice find”

Cuisines: Belgian, French, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our Chicago daughter recommended this place when we were visiting. It was great. It has a real "funky" in a good way vibe. The staff had alot of ink and/or different types of clothes. Yet they were very professional. The food was gastro pub style. I had the chicken and waffles. There was nothing very sweet about the waffles but they were great. Some heat in the chicken "nuggets" made for a great contrast with the savory.
We sat in the "3-season" room and it was perfect. The Bloody Mary's looked great but we were with non drinkers and passed on that. We'll be back when visiting again.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Trocadero is a wonderful restaurant for a special meal; the atmosphere is great, and the food is very good. However, it's not an inexpensive restaurant, and if you're not careful, you'll go away hungry. We ordered six entrees, two desserts, one beer (the rest of us drank water), and six coffees. Our tab (with the tip) came to $148 for six adults.

My family was new to Trocadero, but our friends were familiar. One of the features was an absolutely noteworthy tuna entree that melted in one's mouth and was beautifully presented. However, the portion size was no greater than a single cup (of mostly greens and tiny medalions of tuna); my son and husband (both grown men) had to contain laughter when they saw their plates. They immediately decided that they'd be having dessert, which they ordered later, and if it hadn't been so funny, they might have cried when they saw it--A single cookie with a 1/2 cup of a custard and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumble.The other dessert we ordered (brownie with salted caramel ice cream) was very generously portioned.

The Truffled Lobster Mac-n-Cheese, a "Flat Chicken" feature, a chili, and my Mediterranean vegetables with couscous were also generously portioned. I ordered a chicken breast added to my dish. They were very flexible about that, though my meal came minutes later than everyone else's because someone had forgotten to add the chicken)..

The service was adequate. We appreciated our waitress's cheerful demeanor and ignored some forgetfulness. I'm guessing we'll return to Trocadero but will be more discerning about our menu selections.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our 30 people in last night's rehearsal dinner were wowed by every aspect of this place! We toured the place months in advance with our son and fiance. The friendliness and attentiveness of the staff won us over and we didn't need to look at any other places.
We were able to customize a menu with four entree options, bar options, even apps. Each and every food choice was a big hit. For instance the fresh salmon was so good that even non-salmon people (like me) tasted and loved it. We also had the 1/2 pound Beerline burger, Chicken apple and kohlrabi salad, and North African fried chicken. All winners. For apps, the brushetta quickly disappeared. The killer guac had a kick and went fast too. The Menage app of tapenade, red pepper dip and edamame was good.
We had our own server and bartender who each went way above expectation in anticipating our needs. I didn't expect a bartender to make the rounds during dinner to refill drinks, put bottles of water on each table, even entertain our flowergirl with cute drawings for her to color. Even the manager checked in often.
Wish we lived in town so we could eat there more often!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Since it was about 95 degrees outside, we chose to eat inside for lunch. It's a typical pub style restaurant with dark wood and exposed brick. We had very good service throughout the meal. I had the Mamacita burger, made of black beans, which was pretty good, but could have used more guacamole and/or pico de gallo, because it was a little dry around the edges. My husband had the Peri Peri Burger and thought his was a little overdone and dry. The fries were excellent--thin and crispy! They had a nice selection of beers, too. All in all, eating outside makes this place special and it was just ordinary inside.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This place was recommended to my wife and I as we checked out of the Aloft downtown hotel. The lady at the front desk said it was her favorite place for brunch. We were very happy we made the 15 - 20 minute walk to Trocadero.

There were a number of folks waiting for tables when we arrived, at about 12:20 on a Sunday. A spot at the bar quickly opened up though, so we had a seat and ordered drinks. Service was pretty good, despite the large crowd. They had a nice variety of beers on tap, from Belgian tripels to the local "Booya." The bloody Mary's (with a 5 oz beer chaser) were quite good as well.

After about a 20 minute wait we were seated. Service was friendly, though a bit slow, probably due in part to a large bachelorette party that was winding down from the night before. In any case, between my wife and I, we had the sugar donut starter with the strawberry cream cheese sauce, the andouille sausage omelet with rosemary roasted potatos, and the Gooey cheesey breakfast sandwich. All I can say is the food was outstanding! I would definitely recommend this place to a friend, and go back myself.