“Old World charm with great home made food. Have been eating there for over twenty years .”

Three Brothers Restaurant
Ranked #111 of 1,534 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bay View
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Warm and friendly old world atmosphere. Always greeted warmly. Menu selection is a delight, authentic Serbian Food , and meals are cooked from scratch and well worth the wait. I have driven from the Chicago area to dine there and return. Has remained the same, quality of food and ambiance for years. A truly enjoyable experience.

There are newer reviews for Three Brothers Restaurant

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband & I decided to try out Three Brothers when in Milwaukee for a visit. We had looked at reviews online so we knew that it was only open for dinner, and were prepared for the fact that they only take cash or checks. We arrived right when they opened at 5 pm, and were greeted warmly and told to sit wherever we were comfortable. We knew we were there to try the burek, so ordered wine and a couple of appetizers to tide us over during the 45-60 minute wait for the burek to bake. My husband had the chicken soup, which was definitely made from scratch. It had a large dumpling in it and cost $3.50. We also an antipasti platter that had salami, Serbian cheese (feta-like), olives, peppers, tomatoes and two small scoops of potato salad ($8). We were also provided with a basket of rye bread and butter that was mixed with the sharp cheese.

After 45 minutes, our burek was presented to us. It easily filled up an entire dinner plate and was cut in to quarters (which was suggested to us by our server). We chose the spinach and cheese version, but you could also choose meat or plain cheese. All of them were $19. The phyllo was beautifully crispy and buttery, and the filling was creamy and well seasoned. The only downside to the burek is that the all the phyllo and cheese make it very rich. With appetizers or another main dish to share, it could easily feed a table of four. With two glasses of wine, our total bill was under $50 before tip.

The restaurant is small (I counted about 65 seats in total), and inside of a heritage building so has a lot of "charm". The dishes don't necessarily match and show signs of frequent use. There are mugs on the bar that advertise "Cheese & Deli Meeting 1977". Some of the bottles of liquor behind the bar appear to be from that same era. However, the restaurant was clean & the service was good (friendly & attentive, but the gentleman didn't hover around us). I also enjoyed the framed article about the restaurant that told the story of the family that owns it. We would definitely return.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I took my girlfriend here for an anniversary dinner. We were both really excited to try something new, in a fun part of town. Good thing they served alcohol cause the remainder of the dinner was pretty boring.

The service was slow - they had one person as the server/bartender/host. The food was really bland. I ordered the chicken with potatoes and the spice was completely gone.

2  Thank Jacob B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our second visit to Milwaukee, and Three Brothers was so good on our first visit, we went back for more delicious food. We started with a plate of meat, cheese, olives, tomatoes and bell pepper. Then we shared their specialty, a meat-pie like dish with a phylo crust....I don't know the name of the dish, but it is around $19, and my wife and I couldn't finish it. It is very tasty, and I wish I could find this closer to home. The restaurant is in a cool old building. It has an old Schiltz beer globe on the top of the building and an old bar on the interior. So the building is very historical and the food is truly memorable! The service was great too, with Hannah taking care of us. She was friendly, and she certainly was a hard worker, covering a lot of tables at once. The place does only take cash, but whatever you spend you will get your money's worth!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was an excellent dining experience. Food was served piping hot and fresh and outstanding flavors - Serbian food!!! We had several different entrees including Duck, Lamb and Chicken. Everyone was very pleased with their choices. The salad was fresh and excellent. The only negative is that the wine selection is poor and the wine glasses are small glasses. Deserts were wonderful too. This is a chef prepared experience. Cash or check only - no credit card. Not really appropriate for children and not appropriate for those that need to share. This is a culinary dining experience that you will thoroughly enjoy.

1  Thank TheWash