“The best Burek ever.”

Neighborhood: Bay View
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“The best Burek ever.”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great charming old school location. Do not expect white table cloths. This is old school formica mix-matched tables/chairs, china, etc. and this all adds to the charm. Also, note well, They do not take credit cards but they will take a personal check or cash! We love the flavors and the care that goes into each dish. The Burek is worth waiting for and do not go without trying a burek. We like to order one as soon as we sit down, enjoy a drink and then order our food. The burek may serve as our appetizer to be shared with a serbian salad which is fresh and tasty.

Visited July 2012

Seattle, Washington
“After all these years, still great food and service”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

More than twenty years ago I heard about this small family Balkan restaurant, tried it and liked it. Always meant to go back... Finally did, and it is better than I remembered. Still small, you know they put care into each dish, and the service is welcoming, accommodating (we came just before closing) and personal. We shared dishes, all were excellent, and the spinach burek was the best I've ever enjoyed. Had succulent goose, gulash, and it seems they vary the menu every day. I'll be back again, next time I'm near Milwaukee.

• Visited October 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“True Milwaukee ethnic experience”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

First, don't be misled by clicking on the menu on any of the websites, including this one. The menu does NOT include gyros, hamburgers, spanakopita, etc. Another restaurant has hijacked the menu link. I mentioned this to the server as this is what comes up if you click on the menu on the various web sites. Although they are aware of the problem, it is a mystery to me as a business owner that they never actually investigated it and corrected it. I suggested that they get their own website to remedy the issue.

That settled, the food here is good but heavy Eastern European fare. The specialty is the Burek which is phyllo dough pie (beef or cheese or spinach and cheese). Preparation takes 45 minutes to an hour. Call ahead. It is NOT as light as spanakopita, takes up a dinner plate, and can easily be shared by 2 to 4 people. This will sit heavy on the stomach as will the chicken paprikash, beef goulash, and duck. A little goes a long way unless you are used to eating like a Milwaukee native. Although I am, I left the city 40 years ago and never looked back. This is heavy food. Good food but heavy. My recommendation is to share. The other reviews are accurate regarding the food.

The wait staff is very very friendly and treated us like family. Despite having an enormous party of 24, they were quite attentive. I read the other review of the guest who felt ignored. Not sure of the problem. We were not ignored. Maybe because we told them we were aware of the large group and were willing to live with it. There's no doubt that they get stretched a bit.

They have Eastern European wine and beer available.

I might have rated this restaurant lower as I've kind of out grown this type of food, but other than going to Eastern Europe, I think this is an experience that's difficult to get other places.

Try it for a different sort of experience.

BTW, I rated the atmosphere excellent because of the historic value of an old Schlitz tap rather than that it's a glitzy happening sort of place.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank cbsinfll
Muskego, Wisconsin
“A Milwaukee Classic!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I could swear my Oma was cooking in the kitchen. The best Burek and chicken paprikash I have ever had. Love the atmosphere and the old wooden bar!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Carmen53150
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Three Brothers - eh...”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

As a native Milwaukeean, I'd been hearing the hype about this place for years. And finally, finally I got a chance to try it. Wow, what a let down. You see, I expect some sort of service in a restaurant. I don't care if you're an 'institution' or ethnic and quirky, I do care that I get waited on in a timely manner. Fifteen minutes waiting after being seated is a long time. Fifteen more minutes to get water. Fifteen more to ask what we'd like to order. And so on. And the place wasn't busy. It was a bit grungy though. The food was good, but truly, nothing mind-blowind.

I usually give a place more than one chance, but honestly, I'm sure they don't need my business. They made that clear. Plus, there are so many great places in Milwaukee that I've never made it back to try it again.

Hope they're doing a better job. Let me know if you try it and have a great experience and maybe I'll go again.

4 Thank LisaMalmar