“After all these years, still great food and service”

Three Brothers Restaurant
Ranked #102 of 1,550 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bay View
Reviewed November 18, 2012

More than twenty years ago I heard about this small family Balkan restaurant, tried it and liked it. Always meant to go back... Finally did, and it is better than I remembered. Still small, you know they put care into each dish, and the service is welcoming, accommodating (we came just before closing) and personal. We shared dishes, all were excellent, and the spinach burek was the best I've ever enjoyed. Had succulent goose, gulash, and it seems they vary the menu every day. I'll be back again, next time I'm near Milwaukee.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

First, don't be misled by clicking on the menu on any of the websites, including this one. The menu does NOT include gyros, hamburgers, spanakopita, etc. Another restaurant has hijacked the menu link. I mentioned this to the server as this is what comes up if you click on the menu on the various web sites. Although they are aware of the problem, it is a mystery to me as a business owner that they never actually investigated it and corrected it. I suggested that they get their own website to remedy the issue.

That settled, the food here is good but heavy Eastern European fare. The specialty is the Burek which is phyllo dough pie (beef or cheese or spinach and cheese). Preparation takes 45 minutes to an hour. Call ahead. It is NOT as light as spanakopita, takes up a dinner plate, and can easily be shared by 2 to 4 people. This will sit heavy on the stomach as will the chicken paprikash, beef goulash, and duck. A little goes a long way unless you are used to eating like a Milwaukee native. Although I am, I left the city 40 years ago and never looked back. This is heavy food. Good food but heavy. My recommendation is to share. The other reviews are accurate regarding the food.

The wait staff is very very friendly and treated us like family. Despite having an enormous party of 24, they were quite attentive. I read the other review of the guest who felt ignored. Not sure of the problem. We were not ignored. Maybe because we told them we were aware of the large group and were willing to live with it. There's no doubt that they get stretched a bit.

They have Eastern European wine and beer available.

I might have rated this restaurant lower as I've kind of out grown this type of food, but other than going to Eastern Europe, I think this is an experience that's difficult to get other places.

Try it for a different sort of experience.

BTW, I rated the atmosphere excellent because of the historic value of an old Schlitz tap rather than that it's a glitzy happening sort of place.

1  Thank cbsinfll
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I could swear my Oma was cooking in the kitchen. The best Burek and chicken paprikash I have ever had. Love the atmosphere and the old wooden bar!

1  Thank Carmen53150
Reviewed July 22, 2012

As a native Milwaukeean, I'd been hearing the hype about this place for years. And finally, finally I got a chance to try it. Wow, what a let down. You see, I expect some sort of service in a restaurant. I don't care if you're an 'institution' or ethnic and quirky, I do care that I get waited on in a timely manner. Fifteen minutes waiting after being seated is a long time. Fifteen more minutes to get water. Fifteen more to ask what we'd like to order. And so on. And the place wasn't busy. It was a bit grungy though. The food was good, but truly, nothing mind-blowind.

I usually give a place more than one chance, but honestly, I'm sure they don't need my business. They made that clear. Plus, there are so many great places in Milwaukee that I've never made it back to try it again.

Hope they're doing a better job. Let me know if you try it and have a great experience and maybe I'll go again.

4  Thank LisaMalmar
Reviewed July 14, 2012

By far this is my favorite ethnic restaurant in Milwaukee. The Bourek is divine. It does take a minimum of 45 minutes. Do yourself a favor and share one if there is only two of you. The portion is huge and it literally melts in your mouth.