“Like a little Paris bistro” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coquette Cafe

Coquette Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Coquette Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,502 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Historic Third Ward
Cross street: Between St. Paul and Buffalo
Transit: There are bus and trolley stops within one block of the front door.
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
“Like a little Paris bistro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Be sure to get a booth in the front area (where the bar is) and you'll feel like you're dining in a real Paris bistro. Our party of four each had a different meal -- all every good and respectably French.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Never had a bad experience here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went to Coquette Cafe for New Year's Eve looking for good basic food in a festive atmosphere. Generally it was a very good choice. I've been here many times and have always been pleased. This is French bistro kind of cuisine, so it's not fussy, nor is it expensive. I had the veal meatloaf which was quite good - moist, mildly flavored as veal should be. My partner had the hanger steak which she enjoyed but wished she had had the meatloaf, too. The mushroom soup was excellent, the escargot were pretty standard. The profitteroles (sp?) desert were also very well done but a bit too much chocolate sauce for my taste. Our waitress was very good. Try to get seated in the front room. The back rooms are kind of dark and characterless, which is fine for a business lunch but not so much for a special night out.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 234stevenz
Waukegan, Illinois
“Wonderful Brunch Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I went here after church, having seen and heard about it. Great service, and great food at a reasonable price. It was 11:15 on a Sunday, I had the Du Jour pizza of goat cheese with pear and walnuts what a surprise, it was great. My wife had the classic caeser salad which she loved. We had a well priced bottle of French Rose and a quite wonderful bread pudding desert (with sour cherries,caramel and runny custard sauce). We drove up from Illinois to try this place and we'll do it again.

Brooklyn, New York
“Not the staple restaurant it could be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were seated in a small room to the left of the bar which felt more like an overflow room with no character than a place to have a quaint, relaxing, quiet meal. We decided to sit at the bar instead.

The bartender was friendly and the highlight of our time there. The bartender took our full order and said it would be spaced out, yet when they stepped away for a few minutes our entrees arrived when I was only half way through my salad. My entree was the trout and the flavor was overpowered by the capers. We finished with dessert and I learned that one of the owners had been sitting at the bar for most of the meal, talking to workers the entire time. I wish he had been paying closer attention to what was happening in the restaurant than just sitting there.

For such a staple restaurant in Milwaukee, it did not live up to its name. I will stick to other restaurants, such as Bartolatta restaurants, on my future visits to Milwaukee.

Oregon
“This hidden gem should remain hidden”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Oh my! If I have had a worse meal, it was so long ago that I cannot remember it. (Thank goodness!) My wife and I ordered "ravioli". This turned out to be an inedible mishmash of ingredients that did not go together, all of which were drowning in olive oil. The raviolis had been fried until they were crisp and impossible to cut with a fork.

We had St Emilion at $32 which was rather vinegary.

We did share a nice bread pudding, however.

The restaurant was crowded and noisy. Maybe other dinners did not order the ravioli? Or maybe all the alternative restaurants were closed?

• 1 of 5 bubbles