“Must stop for pizza!”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
tosa, wi
“Must stop for pizza!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stopped going here after I was diagnosed with celiac. On Sunday, I found out they now have gluten-free food items. I am not sure how long they had had gluten-free options, but I am thrilled. I got an anchovy heaven gluten-free pizza. The crust was fantastic. It was so good, I almost thought it was regular crust. I heated some up in the oven today and it was better than yesterday. I will be frequenting here more often. I also think I might buy some par bake pizza to make it home when I feel like it. I highly recommend balistreri's to anyone.

Avoid prime lunch and dinner times for the best service. The wait times can belong and it gets crowded in there. In a hurry, order ahead for pick up. Th food is always hot, fresh and delicious.

• Visited December 2013

Waukesha, Wisconsin
“First date, he proposed here, always special and great holiday Buffets”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

This is where my husband & I meet over 10 years ago for our first date. He then proposed to me here, and we always enjoy returning to this special little spot for good memories and great food.

Visited September 2013
Bluffton, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful traditional Italian Exerience”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Incredible genuine Italian dining experience! Fresh ingredients and generous portions. Excellent service. My favorite go-to item is the pizza!

Visited September 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
“Its the Pizza!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great Italian restaurant - food is made with love, and you can tell. Well known for their pizza, a thin crust perfectly baked pie - with any toppings you could desire. They also offer the typical fare of Italian dishes that are tasty, beautifully presented and reasonably priced. The place is always busy - a good sign of good food. There might be a small wait, but it is worth it. You can sit outside and listen to Frank, Tony, Dean - music piped outside for your enjoyment. Make it and they will come! Casual, friendly and tasty!

• Visited September 2013
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Best Pizza in Town!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Balistreri’s Italian-American Ristorante on 68th and Wells holds a special place in my culinary heart. I became acquainted with Balistreri’s many years ago, when my in-laws and a co-worker lived in the neighborhood. We moved away from Milwaukee years ago, and returned just last year. One of the things I anticipated about returning to my home town was to once again enjoy a pizza from Balistreri’s.

I’ll be honest with you; I am giving Balistreri’s a 5-star rating based solely on one of their menu items, the Balistreri’s Special Pizza. In my opinion, you will not find a better pizza in all of Milwaukee. The crust is thin and crispy with generous toppings: sausage, onion, mushrooms, black olives, and lots of cheese. The pizza is cut “party style,” in squares about 2” x 2”, making each piece easy to handle. You can eat a piece in a bite or two, cut the piece with a knife and fork, or fold it over, New York style. The pizzas are generous! A small pizza is about the size of a frozen pizza; the medium just about fills the cafeteria tray it is served on, and the large is served on a half-sheet pan. If Balistreri's Special doesn't suit your taste, there are many other topping combinations from which to choose.

I can’t speak for any of the other menu items, and Balistreri’s menu is extensive. I have just made a promise to myself to try another menu item next time I’m there. Included on the menu are a number of Italian specialties such as fried octopus, anchovy bread, octopus salad, conch salad, filet of anchovies, putanesca, cannoli, spumoni, and tiramisu. Additionally, the menu includes many traditional Italian pasta dishes, sandwiches, salads, seafood entrees, and Milwaukee’s ubiquitous Friday fish fry.

The restaurant is nothing fancy, but that is part of its charm. As I mentioned, pizza is served on cafeteria trays and sheet pans, giving the restaurant some local color. Service is fast, servers are friendly, and prices are moderate. I’m already looking forward to trying the putanesca on my next visit. I hope you will check out Balistreri's Ristorante!

• Visited September 2013