“Big portions and decent food. ”
Review of The Packing House

The Packing House
Ranked #37 of 1,527 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family owned & operated since 1974. We have something to please even the most discriminating diners! Ribs, steaks, seafood, poultry & veal. Weekday lunch, dinners nightly. Prime Rib on Wednesday, Saturday & Sundays. Friday fish fry. Live music in the lounge Wednesday thru Saturday nights.
Ottawa, Canada
“Big portions and decent food. ”
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

When I initially saw "live music Wed-Sunday" I had not anticipated lounge/bluesy jazz music. This place is definitely dated, and seemed kindof smokey inside, which did go with the bluesy atmosphere but that's just not really what I wanted I guess. Service was decent, the menu was a little pricey but the food was good and large portions. I wouldn't go back.

1 Thank bmark091
Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for the review. We do feature live music Wednesday thru Saturday nights. Although we mix up the performers, we generally feature classic pop, jazz, American standards, and R&B.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent food but staff not so great.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our food was just great, but the waitress was not very good, had we not been there before I would not been happy at all. She was slow and not very attentive to us. We had to get her attention a couple of times to fill our glasses and to remove our food so we could order desert. She then shorted me $40.00 on our change for the bill, She then made up a new receipt which was still not correct, but gave us the correct change and at that point we were just glad to leave. I think so more training and maybe a few less tables would help her.

• Visited February 2014
Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank for for the review. Although I am very happy to hear the food was great, I'm disappointed to hear about the poor service. I appreciate you contacting us at the restaurant as well and we look forward to serving you again soon. We have addressed your concerns with the server involved as well as the rest of our service staff. I can assure you that you will not have the same experience on your next visit. Thank you for the opportunity to improve what we do.
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Perfectly Balanced”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I wish I made a point to be here more often because once again my entire group had a perfect meal without any exceptions. Service is attentive and friendly, cocktails expertly crafted, food (we had a mix of steaks and seafood) was superb. Final bill surprisingly less than what you get. Note that the place has a an updated, younger and trendier feel than I remember from my younger years - great for all ages. While a Milwaukee establishment, this place is a hidden gem that continues to evolve to what you most expect in a great restaurant. This was a reminder to head back more often.

• Visited January 2014
Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to serving you more often.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Consistently excellent for years”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Packing house has been one of the best South Side restaurants for many years. I love the "throw Back" supper club feel and the many menu options. Hi highly recomment the stuffed mushrooms and waterchestnuts in bacon for an appetizer. I am a creature of habit so I always get a steak. So many place now sell their steak ala carte, this is one of the few landmarks left where you get soup or salad, fresh breat and baked potato with your entree. I would recommend this place to anyone for business or pleasure. Going to the drive thru tonite for the best fish fry on this side of town

• Visited December 2013
Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thanks for the great review. Our family is very proud of our forty plus year tradition of excellence. We look forward to serving you again soon!
“Excellent Christmas”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our family of eight enjoyed an outstanding Christmas dinner at The Packing House. While very crowded, the food and service were exceptional.

The only drawback, we had to park two blocks away. Expanding the parking lot might not be a bad idea,

We are already planning on spending next Christmas at The Packing House.

• Visited December 2013
Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We agree that parking can be an issue on such a busy day and have been looking into acquiring nearby overflow parking. Through the hectic day, we are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us overall. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Been to The Packing House? Share your experiences!