“Always solid”
Review of The Packing House

The Packing House
Ranked #46 of 1,547 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Family owned & operated since 1974. We have something to please even the most discriminating diners! Ribs, steaks, seafood, poultry & veal. Weekday lunch, dinners nightly. Prime Rib on Wednesday, Saturday & Sundays. Friday fish fry. Live music in the lounge Wednesday thru Saturday nights.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Packing House is an old standby, and never disappoints. Good steaks, chops, etc. Always well made and good service. Nothing exotic, but they do the "supper club" standbys well.

Recently redecorated, with more of a sixties club vibe. Nicely done.

Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for the excellent review! My family and I are always proud to earn 5 stars. We work hard every day to please every diner and are thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were invited to the celebration dinner of my nephew's graduation from Marquette U. From the outside the place didn't look like much and appeared small. Upon entering you are immediate faced with a lounge from the 60's. Twist around the mirrored hallway to the host stand and you're looking at a rather large dimly lit dining area(did we go underground?) The place seemed very crowded, a good sign. Twisted around more and we entered a rather large private dining area complete with it's own stocked and manned bar, and very private. The first course was appetizers that were awesome! Bacon wrapped roasted chestnuts!, wonderful onion stings, and fried cheeze just to name a few. Salad course was fresh and adequate. Finally, the main course, I had pre-ordered the filet(as did most guest). At first I thought I had made a mistake as It tasted more like a mediocre prime rib, but a little deeper into the cut the flavor came through. The service was excellent! I think I'll have to go back and try the regular dining and menu. I'd especially recommend this place for a reasonably priced place for a large private party.

Thank you for your favorable review! We host many private parties and earn many return guests from them. We are happy you enjoyed your experience and look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary here. We have been coming here at least once a year for the last of those 25. We are about 4 hours out of town. I just love the duck and the filet never disappoints. Compared to other restaurants in its class the prices are very reasonable (maybe I shouldn't tell them that). While I would consider it fine dining the dress is casual, but aren't all places that way now? Pasta, steaks, seafood, poultry...you name it. They have a bit of everything but not so much that they are over stretching the chefs abilities.. Great atmosphere in the lounge and service to match.

Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are proud that in our 40 year history we have won so many loyal repeat customers that mark their special occasions with us. Thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to serving you for many years to come.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

... for accommodating a large group at an inconvenient time. The Packing House, a popular restaurant and prime fish fry location, remained open on a Friday afternoon (post-lunch, pre-dinner) to serve our post-funeral group of 16 people. The staff did this graciously and professionally. We thanked them profusely, and availed ourselves of many offerings on their menu. I only had eyes for the fish fry, of course, and when there's a choice between perch and cod, perch always wins. (Perch is nonexistent in south TX, as far as I know.)

I was glad to find that the food at The Packing House is still high quality and delicious. With the exception of the potato pancakes (which did not appear homemade and were tasteless; I remembered them to be MUCH better), everything was solid. The clam chowder was rich and creamy, the coleslaw was crispy and dressed just right, and the fish was fresh and not breaded heavily. After lunch, I tasted a piece of cheesecake that made its way around the table and it was as good as any I've had.

On many trips back home we often seek out a neighborhood bar for a fish fry; they're hidden gems that are often overlooked or simply unknown to those who aren't familiar with the city. It was nice going back to one of the south side's iconic locations.

When we left, dinnertime was approaching and the cars were already lined up through the parking lot and out into the street for The Packing House's carryout window. Now THAT's a following!

Chris W, Owner at The Packing House, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for the very kind review! We are always happy to accomodate our guests in whatever way we can. We are happy that we pleased you overall and will continue to work to earn "5 stars" on your next visit. Please join us again soon!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We went on a Sat night, had 6:00 reservation, seated right away. Good service, ordered shrimp cocktail, came out quickly and was delicious. Once we all arrived ordered our food; the bread, salads and soup all very good. I ordered petite filet, was OK, not great flavor. Another person had the Steer filet and that was much better. Also had ribs, which were very good and salmon. Prime rib also ordered, no comment given on that. Overall very good service and food. Was very noisy, but a busy night. Also music in the bar sounded nice.

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope you join us again soon. We will continually strive to earn "5 stars" from every one of our guests.

Been to The Packing House? Share your experiences!