“Unexpected And Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sanford Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 1,502 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Unexpected And Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Celebrated my daughters promotion and was very pleased in every way; service, food and atmosphere. A must for a special occasion.

1 Thank Anthony V

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“No question, the best dinner in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is our special occasion restaurant. The food is simply amazing. The experience is as close as you can get to special dinner in New York, from the atmosphere to the food. While the food is the highlight, the wine is also not to be missed. If you are fortunate to be there on a night when they have a fixed menu, don't hesitate, order it and get the wine pairings. You will experience food and pairings that you would never consider if you ordered it on your own. Its a real experience and worth it.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank jhembrock
“Expected Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I had high hopes for this restaurant, but it did not live up to expectations. We had the tasting menu, and while there were some good dishes, there was nothing out of the park. We had three seafood courses, without much flavor, followed by pork belly and then quail. I did enjoy the meat courses, but it still left a little to be desired. You could tell a lot of thought and effort went into the perpetuation, but some of the flavors just did not work. Perhaps we caught them on an off night, but I don't think I would go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tlooper
Milwaukee
“How can you improve on perfection?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to Sanford to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We had booked in advance and advised them of the event. We were greeted cheerfully and seated at our table right away. Our server brought the menu and wine list. We started with prosecco (what else?) while we decided what to have. Sometime, I'd like to try the special tasting menu with wine to go with each dish. This was offered on the Saturday that we went, since the kitchen was a bit slow that night. We wanted something a bit smaller, so we opted for the regular menu, and we weren't disappointed.
We enjoyed an amuse-bouche followed by appetizers, soup and entrees. I had a grilled elk steak, and my wife had seared dry-packed scallops. Wines by the glass completed the evening. We had flourless chocolate cake for dessert. The waiter brought out a specially-decorated plate with anniversary wishes and two red hearts (edible, of course!).
The evening was magical and delightful. We decided we should not save Sanford for a special occasion, but go back more often. This is one of the best places we've been in a long time. I can't see any negative effect from the sale of the restaurant to the head chef a few months ago.
Yes, it's a splurge, but worth it!

3 Thank John M
Syracuse
“Memorable dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner here for the first time. It is First Class. The valet was a good kid. Everyone was very accommodating. Dinner and dessert were amazing. I sampled food from everyone at the table and tried food I had never heard of before and found everything to have amazing flavor! I highly recommend!!

2 Thank Carolyn W