“Not what it used to be”
Review of Conejito's Place

Conejito's Place
Ranked #267 of 1,555 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Walker's Point
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Same menu, same great food. Not the same service. I was surprised when I read the other reviews about the service. I've also been going to Conejito's for over 20 years. They really do want you in and out. Waiter was ready to take the plate of a guest that hadn't even finished her meal yet. I asked for beer without a lime or lemon, and sure enough, it was delivered with a lemon wedge sticking out of it. I said "I didn't want any fruit". She pulled the lemon wedge out and started walking away. I said "but it is still going to taste like it". She obviously didn't care and kept walking away. Love the food, don't mind being served on a paper plate, however, I would like to be able to enjoy my meal and the company of those I'm dining with without being made to feel like I better hurry up and eat and gulp down my beverage and get the heck out of there.

1  Thank Kelly A

Reviewed January 23, 2013

You get your food on paper plates, but that just adds charm to this hole-in-the-wall that is a local fave! My husband loves the chopped meat tacos, but the tostadas are out of this world. We usually buy extra of their homemade salsa to take home.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

What a huge disappointment! We have been going to Conejito's since 1974; my husband's fav Mexican restaurant. Just had a surprise 65th b-day gathering for him there, invited 23 friends and relatives, spent almost $500, and was met with an incredible amount of rudeness! There is a new manager and a new owner, and they do NOT want groups in there. Wish I had known that when I first called and planned the gathering. New manager wants you to walk in, sit down, order, eat and leave immediately. Each of my guests was told as soon as they walked in that they must sit down and order. Which they were doing, ordering guac and pitchers of margaritas. The back dining room was never full the entire evening, but I was told we were "in the way" of other paying guests. What? I brought in this large group, most of whom had never been there before! Manager told me they are catering to a "different clientele" now. We are a group of suburbanites, professional and retired people - not rowdies - from ages 4 months through mid-70's. Each person was made to feel most unwelcome, and we will all never go back. I would recommend you all to avoid this restaurant. They are not in the "hospitality" industry. Which, is really too bad. There are many Mexican restaurants in Milw area; we'll find another favorite.

1  Thank egreer19
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I didn't like my food served on paper plates. I found it really distrubing. I didn't enjoy my food sticking to the plates and eating the paper. Food was average.

3  Thank Korey W
Reviewed December 29, 2012

OK, so there are lots of positive reviews for this place, but we're not sure why. Maybe it's because we, unlike those others, came for the food. On the plus side there is good atmosphere and the prices are great.

On the down side, the food was really bad, and we left wondering what had just happened.

Few observations: there were NO Mexicans or Latinos eating at this Mexican place that night, which definitely says something. They know their own food and this was not food they would own.

They do not serve salsa. That's right- a Mexican restaurant that doesn't have salsa. Go figure.

They don't have lemons or limes.

They don't serve nachos and salsa with the meals.

They did though have a gross, old plastic bottle of ketchup at our table that looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a few months.

My wife is from Mexico, and just by osmosis I, despite myself, can easily make tacos WAY better than what we ate there.

As a native Milwaukeean, I do declare that the Milwaukeeans I saw there don't know what they're missing. It's not hard at all to do much better than this for the same low prices.

They might consider changing their name from little bunnies to little runnies, because their food ran down the toilet in the end.

1  Thank BlueEarthDave

Been to Conejito's Place? Share your experiences!