“Crispy crispy great sauce”
Review of Zaffiro's

Zaffiro's
Ranked #111 of 1,520 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Ococomowoc
“Crispy crispy great sauce”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The perfect hole in the wall pizza place. If you luv cracker crust like I do this is a must when in the area.

• Visited January 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Still good pizza”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Although my violin teacher's home, now razed for a private parking lot was right next store to Zaffiro's when I took lessons there in the early 1960's, I had not been there for a meal until a few years ago on one of my all-too-infrequent visits to my home town and my parents, who still live there. My parents and brother-in-law got take-out pizza the Saturday after this past Thanksgiving,just after returning from a three-day trip to Chicago over the holiday. We thought that take-out would be a better deal than what we knew a sit-down meal would be on a crowded Saturday night. Because of its popularity and limited space, I take it as a given that Zaffiro's will be crowded, and that there will be a wait. When we went for take-out this time, however, it was a Saturday evening, and the place was chaotic. We had phoned in our order and were told that the pizzas would be ready for pick-up in 30 minutes. Since we knew well enough not to take restaurants' take-out wait estimates too literally, we arrived after 35-40 minutes to discover that there was an additional wait of 25 minutes, time which was spent in the entryway, which was filled to overcapacity with multitudes waiting for seating and harried waitresses trying to get to tables.

The pizza on this occasion, as on earlier ones, was quite good: The sauce was excellent, and the thin crust was in the area between crisp and chewy, with sufficient toppings. While the pizza was good, however, it did not quite measure up to the transcendent pizza experience I remember from the Fox Point location of the Calderone Club (I never tried the downtown locations), where the crust was crisp and flavorful (semolina or durum flour, perhaps?) four or five years back. Logistical problems have prevented visits to that restaurant since;then, so it could well be that my memory is playing tricks on me. Nevertheless, Zaffiro's pizza is still very good, far better than the New York by-the-slice pizza about which many New Yorkers rave and, needless to say, most local and national chains. But there are pizzas in town that are also very good, e.g., the aforementioned Calderone Club and even the Neapolitan-style pie at the Nonna Bartolotta restaurant--a "cousin" of the Wauwatosa Bartoltta's location--on Concourse D airside at Mitchell Airport, and you might well wish to try them if you HAVE to have pizza out on a Saturday night. I'd recommend avoiding Zaffiro's Farwell on Friday or Saturday nights

That being said, I'd recommend visiting Zaffiro's on one of the week's five other evenings, instead, when you can enjoy fine pizza in the restaurant's pleasant neighborhood bar-like atmosphere--unchanged for many decades--without a long wait and with a tolerable noise level.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank pete1146
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great thin crust.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My return was 17 years in the making. Moved from the area and made it back for a reunion and it did not disappoint! There is something about this timeless place that I just love. The pizza is perfect for me. Love the small "joint" feel, love the small glasses of wine and beer glasses. Brady street has changed a lot since my last visit but it's great to come back and see that some of the best pizza I've ever had remains the same. Hope this place never changes!

Visited October 2013
West Fargo, North Dakota
“Local favorite?”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Zaffiro's was good, but not a must have in my book. It's clearly a local favorite, however, as they seem to do a huge takeout business. Quite expensive for pizza, however.

Visited October 2013
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great pizza”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited this restaurant as it was only a short walk from where we were staying. Looked a bit seedy from the outside and the restaurant decor could do with an update. However it was clean and ths staff and food were EXCELLENT. My husband said his pizza was the best he'd had anywhere and my cheese tortellini and meatballs were delicious. Portion size was huge and we all had to bring leftovers home. Will definitely visit again

• Visited September 2013

Been to Zaffiro's? Share your experiences!