“A trip back home”

Dining options: Breakfast
Greencastle, Indiana
“A trip back home”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is one of those places that brings back the memories of my youth. Funky art work on the walls , the neighborhood feel of the place . Not five star, but really good hamburgers . Reasonable prices. Note there is no alcohol (in Milwaukee !!) , but there are good shakes and malts. Worth a stop on the south side.

• Visited July 2014

“Yum!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The burgers are delicious! The prices are fair also...

Be aware.. A double cheeseburger is huge.. Not like a McDonalds double cheeseburger.. Ha. Its two full size hamburgers... (I'm a female who was starving) cut it in half, so it was easier to eat.. Was full on just half the burger.
Soup was good!

The place was kinda small... But it all worked out. Be aware of the weird hours... I think they close at like 630 or something early...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“great burgers”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

this is an age old restaurant that serves food as good as the first day they opened in 1950's. great historical and model shows history of past Milwaukee transit.

Visited October 2013
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Over The Years Things Got Lost”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

After hearing from a fine Brookfield hotels chef about how good the hamburgers we here I finally got around to trying this place. Being from Kenosha we don't have these kind of lunch counters left anymore. Being inside Mazo's really brought the memories of a lot of diners now gone. I dined with my 17 year old son who only knows the " McTerrible'" hamburgers. I told my son this is the kind of place I grew up eating hamburgers at. Too bad the outside of the building GIVES YOU NO IDEA of the lunch counter that lies within. From the street view of the building one would never know that this cozy diner is inside. I have visited numerous patients at the hospital across the street and have passed by this Mazo's hundreds of times not knowing what tasty food and cozy lunch counter dining was inside. I love the inside of this place, it was warm inside the diner on a VERY COLD December day(exept for the tiny bathroom;very cold in there). My son and I got here about 11:30a.m. we were the only ones here but quickly the crowds came. I ordered a mushroom burger(canned mushrooms) (the burger come with two sides) I choose soup and "american fries".(our server warned me they were really more like Hashbrowns).
. My son ordered a cheeseburger and apple sauce and french fries. The soup came in a glass bowl with real metal utensils(in Kenosha we have the former A&W that serves eat in diners soup in styrofoam and plastic spoons). Things do get lost over the years when "homemade" soup is replaced with canned restaurant supply and "homemade" american fries are now frozen Hashbrowns served in small cardboard fry baskets and beef patties that are now frozen perfectly thick and not fresh hand formed irregular patties. And fountain sodas replaced with the servers pouring your soda into an ice filled glass from a plastic two liter bottle. I wasn't around in the 40's when this lunch counter first started but I can imagine that Over The Years Things Got LOST in the way food is served here today. Food is good here but...could be better if still served like the days gone. Homemade soups, dispenser sodas, fresh potato american fries and fresh ground hand formed hamburger patties.

• Visited December 2013
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Mouth watering burgers ”
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Omg hands down one of the best burgers I have ever had. And not for a lot of money. Be warned there is a wait around lunch time and they can't put tip on your card so tip cash. But other then that simply amazing! They even have an old school lunch counter. Menu is limited, bit what it lacks in items it makes up for it taste. Please never change. I make this a stop every time I go to Milwaukee.