“Destination Dining”
Review of c. 1880

c. 1880
Reserve with OpenTable
c. 1880 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #157 of 1,518 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Washington and 1st
Miami, Florida
“Destination Dining”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I have dined here three times and each time my expectations are exceeded. This is not a restaurant to dine and dash. It is not the Oma e for a quick bite before the theater or a game. The menu is original, creative, and always changing. The presentations are works of art. The fusion of many textures and tastes unlike anything I have experienced. This is a place to savor the beauty of the food, the aroma, and the taste. The servers are consumate professionals and pleasant. They are knowledgable about the menu.
I recently had Trout prepared in a way I have not seen. It was flavorful but not fishy. Beets salad with arugula goat cheese and almonds was beautiful and palate pleasing. Also had
Pork belly with smoked potato pine nuts and pickled peppers. The scallop dish has been presented in various ways, but always superior to any presentation I have had anywhere. I also experienced Duck prepared with cherries, figs and beets. I don't like duck. The waiter told me it was different and that he would pay for the meal if I did not like it. He kept his money.

After dinner we had Fools gold decaf Anodyne coffee Served with drip manual brew at table in decanter with warm cream. Excellent coffee. The Rishi tangerine ginger tea was wonderful.
The desserts are all outstanding. My favorite and long standing offering is the Whatchamacallit. Made with Peanuts,carmel, chocolate with Peanut butter dust graham, Chocolate peanut butter Carmel ice cream,Valhrohna pearls. Graham crackers wrapped in choc. Peanut n Carmel Brickel with a Carmel and peanut schmear. The olive oil cake is a new offering
The cost of dinner for four with wine, appetizer, entrees, dessert and coffee was $225. That is not bad for truly fine dining. In Miami this meal would cost at least $400.
C. 1880 is a fantastic addition to Milwaukee and has become, to me, one if the top 3 restaurants in Milwaukee. We are returning again next week.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“nice but overpriced”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

not a bad place, however martini glass was not full and food however tasty was overpriced. Crowd is more of the sophisticated mature kind.

Visited March 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“World class food, with a down to earth Milwaukee atmosphere.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family visited to celebrate a birthday, it was everyones first time dining at c. 1880

Everyone at the table opted for the 5 course tasting menu (really 7 with amuse bouche and pre dessert pallet cleanser) $75 with wine pairing $110

What stood out to me most about my experience was head chef Hauck expediting the food, every plate to leave the kitchen passed threw his hands checking for quality. The menu was seasonal, playful, and unique. The dishes were diverse in textures, adding layers to the plate, each component cooked masterfully, harmonizing magnificently together.

The plates that come out of 1880's kitchen are on the same table as those coming out of Sanfords, Bacchus, ect. the difference at 1880 is the atmosphere. At 1880 the focus is on the food, drinks, and service, not what your wearing, who you are, and how much your spending. When you dine at 1880 it feels like Milwaukee, real people, real food, sincerity in the people that serve you and passion in those cooking your meal.

Wine pairing were cleaver, and diverse, each one coming from a different country. It was obvious as much thought went into the wine and did the ingredients in the dishes.

Overall this was a world class meal, you would expect a restaurant like this in Chicago, or London, and I couldn't be happier that its in the 414. Circa 1880 is a prime example of Milwaukee's blossoming restaurant scene, Chef Hauck (and his talented cooks and staff) are doing great work. Keep up the good work c. 1880

• Visited March 2013
“Great dining experience”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I were joined by my son and his wife for a great dinner at C. 1880. They encourage sharing so we asked to eat tapas style - ordering two dishes at a time and sharing so that we could each experience a number of their dishes.. The food was outstanding and the service incredible. Between each of our 3 "tapas courses" they cleared the table and brought fresh plates and silverware. I feel sorry for the dishwasher.

Would definitely recommend this restaurant and would encourage diners to share the entrees.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great place, space and food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were visiting from the UK on business and a group of 7 of us came here for a social business dinner.The restaurant is in the regenerating historic quarter where a few good restaurants have popped up since we last visited. It's an old building - built in 1880 hence the restaurant name. Nicely fitted out around a long zinc bar. Really knowledgable staff who were enthusiastic about what they were doing. We shared 5 appetizers - all of which were excellent... read previous reviews but the beetroot, belly pork and venison tartare are excellent.All teh mains seemed to go down well with a bunch of pretty discerning diners.... great mid price wines to accompany. The restuarant is only open in teh evenings and closed Monday's - so I wondered how they make money... but I'm guessing that the rent is cheap enough to make the numbers work.

Along with quite a few Milwaukee restaurants the story is around locally sourced ingredients, cooked with passion and served with care. 1880 delivered on this extremely well.

• Visited February 2013