“Good weekend stay, close to almost everything”

Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Good weekend stay, close to almost everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Diamond member stayed here for a nice long weekend with my wife, 3, and 5 year old. Checked in around 3:30 into our 1 bedroom suite. Went up to our room and found out the suite did not have a door, but a sitting area, and you could sit there and see the bedroom. Went back downstairs and talked with Nick the GM, who explained none of their suites have doors. I explained my frustration that I was paying premium when I could have just booked a regular 2 bed accommodation. He did offer a discount because of this which I appreciated “Suite” was pretty nice, small bed area, and small sitting area. Room only had 3 towels in it. One night asked for additional towels which never came, but got them early the next morning. Everything was nice and clean. We were on the 5th floor (top floor), which had 2 small windows and not much of a view though. It was a busy weekend with the Cardinals in town and the Bastille festival, but room was extremely quiet. Normally, the suite issue would have left a damper on my impression of the hotel, but I did get some great sleep here so I am still giving it 4 stars.
Location is great. Walking distance with 2 small kids to Lakefront, Riverwalk, 3rd ward, cathedral square, and lots of restaurants. Valet was $24 a night. From the street, its hard to see where the valet is as there is not stand outside. One time I needed my car and called downstairs and came down 15 minutes later and no one relayed the message to them. The next day I figured I would walk down there with my ticket, and no one was down there for valet as there was only one person there and he was off getting another car.
Breakfast was pretty good, free for my wife and I and they didn’t charge our kids. Similar to most other buffets at Hilton and Embassy suites. Continental style with 3 hot items and made to order omelets. Sat down by one TV and asked if it could be changed to ESPN or CNN or something, and the waitress said no. So I asked a manager who explained that their owner insists that TV be left on TCM (Turner classic Movies) which basically shows nothing but old black and white movies. Kind of weird to me, but maybe that’s the look they are going for in an old building, fancy HDTV big screen showing black and white movies.
Overall I would stay here again as long as it’s a reasonable price. It’s a nice older building in good shape. It’s a smaller building compared to some of the other hotels close buy, which means staff can be great when they are not busy, but staff can get overwhelmed during peak times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nick J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to share your ecperience. I am sorry that a few things were frustrating during your visit, particularly the suite configuration, and the valet. Since your visit we have added a valet stand. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed other parts of your viist. I hope you will consider us again.

Nick Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This property is not at all like the standard Hilton Garden Inn locations. This is both a plus and a minus. Our room was absolutely beautiful. We had some challenges with check in and the restaurant but those issues were addressed and corrected by GM Nick. The biggest challenge we encountered was the parking. There is no on property parking and we didn't know there was a second entrance where we did not have to lug our bags up a tall flight of stairs. This property is close to Miller Park which is why we selected it. I would stay here again if I did not have a car to worry about parking. Property itself is gorgeous.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nick J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your expeience at our unique Hilton Garden Inn. I am so glad that you and I were able to speak during your visit. If you are in Milwaukee again, I hope that you will decide to stay with us. Please feel free to contact me directly 414-810-4253. Thank you again.

Portland, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and attending training here. Based in an old corporate HQ, Hilton has done a great job retrofitting it and making a really nice, affordable downtown hotel. The wifi and hotel restaurant are also great. Everything is clean and the staff is extremely helpful at all times. Do be aware that I couldn't get the blackout curtains to close completely and at least one training room has a column in the middle of it.

Stayed July 2014
Nick J, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your rescent visits to the hotel! I am delighted that you enjoy the hotel enough to return several times. I hope you can make it back soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed ten nights at this hotel and housekeeping failed to clean our room by the time we returned on four days! I am talking five to seven p.m. returns, not mid-afternoon. Room for three was given amenities for two. For what they are charging, this was a downright shame. Ruined an otherwise pleasant vacation in Milwaukee.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

2 Thank 641stuarta
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I am terribly sorry that you did not receive housekeeping service each night of your visit. I completely understand how frusterating this was for you and I am sorry that it impacted your visit to Milwaukee. I would like to discuss this in more detail with you. At your convenience please contact me directly at 414-810-4253. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Beautiful historic hotel with gorgeous lobby, located perfectly near the historic 3rd ward and Public Market and an easy walk to the lakefront or other downtown locations. Friendly staff plus a good fitness room - will return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Elizabeth K
Elizabeth

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us and for your kind words! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location to the 3rd Ward, Public Market, and Lakefront. I hope you can make it back soon!

Indian Hills, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I love this hotel! It's in a nicely restored historic building and close to everything downtown.
The best part, however, is the front desk staff. Katrona and Theresa are super friendly and very helpful.
Housekeeping could use a little work, hence the 4/5 rating but overall a very nice place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ngoodreau
Thank you for the nice review and for your kind words. I am so glad that you enjoyed our restored historic building, our location in downtown Milwaukee, and our front desk staff. I am very sorry that you did not have the best experience with housekeeping, I would like to speak with you in more detail about this. Please contact me directly at 414-810-4253. Thank you again for the nice review. I hope you can make it back soon!

414-810-4253
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Hotel is two years old. In a renovated historic building in downtown. Seven block walk to Summerfest grounds. Friendly staff. Clean rooms, comfy beds, pillows and fluffy bath towels. Mini fridge and micro. They have a shuttle that can drop you off at surrounding attractions. However, we waited 20 minutes for it to show up and ended up walking to Summerfest grounds- 15 minute walk. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms have tall narrow windows. We didn't choose the hotel for the view.