“Loved it!”

Odd Duck
Ranked #19 of 1,543 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Odd Duck serves an ever changing eclectic small plate menu with a focus on local ingredients and international inspiration!
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great experience! Loved the cocktails (seasonal and great!) and wide array of small plates. 2 or 3 a person work well!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had dinner with my husband and niece from out-of-town. We chose Odd Duck because they are open on Monday night and could cater to our niece's vegan lifestyle. They also appeared to be able to cater to my gluten-free lifestyle.

My husband thought the Seared Duck Breast Large Plate was one of the best dinners he has ever had. That is saying a lot! Our vegan niece had the Louisiana Mushroom Gumbo which she finished with gusto.

I ended up with the Beef Shortrib Bourguignon Small Plate which was very good. Unfortunately they had run out of the second dish I ordered, the Cherry, Thyme and Goat Cheese Terrine w/ Petite Greens and it was only 7:15. I didn't substitute anything else since I had had enough greens earlier in the day. This was a bit disappointing. Way too many restaurants think they are doing a good job serving the gluten free by showing them all the salads they can eat.

Otherwise, the venue is nice, a restored old storefront with brick walls, nice looking bar, open kitchen concept and excellent & attentive table service. For those without food sensitivity issues I think this is an interesting place to dine.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We arrived last evening for a slightly delayed 21st birthday celebration with our newly-adult Granddaughter. She and beau have been semi-regulars, and it was her way of sharing HER new adult world with us.

The restaurant is reasonably new, and reasonably small. The staff were friendly but in a small room when you have the table next to the hostess station the meal will not be quiet. Then again, with hard surfaces throughout I don't know that it's every quiet.

The menu is reprinted with changes daily. The listings are all very creative and unique -- is sometimes odd combinations of flavors. They list both entrees and small plates (essentially tapas) but clearly the clientele that evening preferred the small plates. Between the four of us we went through 13 small plates and the tab with 5 drinks -- two house specials, 1 glass of wine, and 2 brandy old fashioners came to $160.00 so it's not an inexpensive place to eat.

I enjoyed all of the food. The Korean Pancake was delivered about 2/3 of the way through the meal and while it was delicious it was also so spicy that our tastebuds were pretty much burned out for the next couple of plates. Some better balance there might be helpful -- and that comes from a guy who normally LOVES his spicy food! Subtle flavors can't survive after too much heat.

Do I have a favorite? No. The palate as varied as Indian, Japanese, Korean, Middle American, and Eastern European gave a wonderful variety and how do you pick between apples, oranges, and yellow balloons? Everything was so different that there's little ground for value judgements beyond: it's a very nice place, with a wide variety of food, that caters to grazers rather than eaters.

I'm glad we went. Our granddaughter loves it and she loved sharing it with us. Would we go again on our own? Probably not. Would we encourage others to go? Sure. Is it amazing? If you've never had a good fine dining experience it might be. If you've dine around a lot then it's another one to check off the list.

2  Thank Peter P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We asked at our hotel for a "foodie" restaurant that would provide a unique experience, and we were thrilled they suggested Odd Duck. It's not easy to get a table, so definitely get a reservation. The food was creative and delicious. Planning a trip back to try it again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Another great spot in Bay View. Crowded but worth the wait. Parking is a problem. Had cheese/meat tray and drinks. Great