“Delightful neighborhood cafe!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Zak's Cafe

Zak's Cafe
Ranked #88 of 1,504 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: I ate there last week and they told us they have been open one year
barney42
“Delightful neighborhood cafe!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Zak's is conveniently located near downtown...5th Ward. Recently had breakfast, returned a day later for dinner.
On both occasions we quite pleased with the good food, efficient & friendly staff and ambiance. Waffles with blueberries were exceptional. Chicken & meatloaf on the dinner menu were terrific.

• Visited November 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
“Fish fry has a lot of potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Friendly and attentive service, busy enough, but not loud. The fish fry was good, but not as crispy as it should be; perhaps it sat too long after coming out of the fryer. The potato pancake was very good. The dinner salad was surprisingly hearty and fresh. Good drink menu. Eclectic menu. Portions are very generous. I'd definitely go back.

• Visited November 2012
West Bend, WI
“Breakfast for lunch at a Fifth Ward/Walkers Point cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The area is known for trendy renovated buildings with brick, beams and rustic atmosphere. Zak's Cafe provided all these for a modern, downtown atmosphere. They serve breakfast until 3PM so my husband had a three egg omelet with swiss and mushroom which he said was excellent. The hash browns were very good also.

I ordered the Lobster Benedict which was only average. The poached egg was more of a soft boiled (no juicy yolk oozing out) and the sauce which was supposed to be tarragon Benedict did not have a hint of tarragon. The muffin too was kind of soggy rather than crisp and chewy.

Our server apologized for our rather long wait for our food and perhaps the dish sat too long in the kitchen. So, half really good, half so-so, but all with a cool atmosphere.

• Visited October 2012
Elgin, Illinois
“Good Service and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I found this place down the street from our hotel. We stopped in for lunch just after noon on a Saturday. We were greeted and seated immediately by the staff. They were very friendly and attentive throughout the visit. The atmosphere was good..it's a cool urban cafe with modern decor. It was busy enough without forcing long waits to sit or eat. There is a full bar and breakfast is served till 3pm. My wife loved the stuffed french toast. My pulled pork and fries were good/ not great. Overall good experience. If we travel back to the area we wouldn't hesitate to drop in again.

• Visited September 2012
Milwaukee, Wi
“Breakfast items tasty,sandwich not so good,great service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Ate here with a group on a late Saturday morning. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. The breakfast items such as stuffed french toast, french toast, breakfast burrito were said to be very good by those in the group that had them. I had breakfast earlier so had the BLT with avocado sandwich. The brioche bread was so thick, the sandwich filling so thick I could not get my mouth around it. Also the bread was very dry and not very tasty. This is a very large sandwich. I ended up taking the sandwich apart, eating the filling with my fork and the bread like a piece of toast. I took one half home, ate the bacon with breakfast the next day, the rest of the filling like a salad and hubby ate the bread. All in all not a very good sandwich experience. The setting is modern, with clean lines. There is an upstairs open seating area as well as outdoor seating. It is in a warehouse district but be careful about the parking restrictions so you don't get a parking ticket.

• Visited August 2012