“Milwaukee shows frequently beat Broadway”

Milwaukee Repertory Theater
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've been blown away by Milwaukee productions ("The Happy Fellow" and "Avenue Q" come immediately to mind) whereas I've frequently been left underwhelmed by Broadway ones (Chorus Line, The Producers), which tend to become "calcified," formulaic, predictable and mechanical. The prices of the Milwaukee versions have been creeping (to half, or even 3/4, of Broadway prices), but I've felt I got my money's worth. Who needs "celebrity" performers for great, alive theater? I'm a convert re: Milwaukee dramatic productions--they make the most out of smaller but overcompensating resources and produce world-class theater.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

If you want to see great, current, professional theater, the Milw Rep Powerhouse is the place to see it. More intimate theater, Stiemke Theater. Late August through early May. And for lighter pieces and a nice dinner or drink go to the Rep - Stackner Cabaret.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Excellent performance space; top quality productions. The Rep values its audiences and the community.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Stackner Cabaret is venue of the Milwaukee Rep that I have never before experienced until seeing the Ring of Fire show highlighting the music of Johnny Cash. This intimate setting was perfect for enjoying the performance by Eddie Clendening, Jason Edwards, David Miles Keenan, and Mark W. Winchester. Unfortunately for us, Trenna Barnes, who usually sings with them was out with laryngitis. In spite of this, the group filled in the loss and we were well entertained. We loved the music and being able to be so close to the performance with the dinner-theatre type setting. Great voices and personable performance!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

While visiting my Son and family for Easter, we took in a play at "The Rep", our first such visit, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We loved the overall atmosphere, and the play, "A Raisin in the Sun", was superbly acted and presented. We're already looking at next season's schedule and making plans to return. A nice and unexpected feature: One can order a beverage before the start of the play, and at intermission, there it is - no waiting in line! Also, for $2, one can buy a cup w/lid that allows you to take the beverage into the theatre (and is also a small souvenir).