“summerfest 2013”

Henry Maier Festival Park
Ranked #12 of 153 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated on the Lake Michigan shore, this park plays host to Milwaukee's sizzling summer circuit of ethnic and music festivals. Promoting an understanding of different ethnic cultures, the histories and traditions of various nationalities, harmony in the community, civic pride and provides a showcase for performing arts, activities and recreation for the public. Festivals throughout the year held at Henry Maier Festival Park: Polish Fest , Pride Fest, Summerfest, Festa Italiana, German Fest, Jazz Visions on the Lake, Irish Fest, Mexican Fiesta, Indian Summer Festival, Fromm Pet Fest.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great location on the lakefront. Metered parking was readily available and a short walk , Safe area, people were friendly, Venue was awesome. well maintained and clean. Music was great, will return next year. Tram ride with overview of the park was fun.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"beer"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went to Summerfest for the first time in 1970, the first one which was entirely held at Henry Maier Festival Park. I took my little sisters to see Jose Feliciano, then went back with an older sister a few days later, where we saw the infamous Sly & the Family Stone concert (I know, about a million people SAY they were there, but I really WAS!). Back in the early days, there was not much to do during the day unless you brought a whole bunch of money to throw away on the midway, and, if it rained, the place became a mudhole, especially memorable for the John Sebastian concert in 1971.

Many things have changed since then. There are beautiful grounds, activities and entertainment for all ages, and a wide variety of food from local restaurants (have to have the deep fried eggplant!). Now that we have become "seniors", we can get in any time for only $5, and can ride a freeway flyer from park and ride lots for only $3. We've seen memorable concerts through the years, from Jimmy Buffet to Paul Simon to Eric Clapton, all for a much more reasonable price than other venues. I always check out the line-up on the website and plan our days around the new groups I discover (this year it was "Making Movies") and old favorites like the Wailers. I love how people of all ages can share new musical experiences.

Every year, I haul out the sweatshirt I bought in 1982, just in case of a changeable wind off the lake, and cover it with all the old Summerfest pins from many different years. Two of my sons, from Florida and Texas, come with their families nearly every year, and our life revolves around the festival for the 10 days.

Are you getting the idea of how much I love Summerfest?

1  Thank krisreger
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We drive up from Chicago every year for summerfest. We love the grounds, lake breeze, & views. Its very clean & safe. It's not a bad walk from the downtown hotels - maybe 25-30 minutes - but it's a safe walk. The vendors & staff are all really friendly. But we leave before the really big names start to play at night - it gets REALLY crowded. There are a lot of free giveaways - so that's fun.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our first Summerfest and we had a blast. Tix for headliners were pretty steep, but we headed down early on the 4th of July am had a blast with our toddler; tons for her to enjoy also. Crowds seemed to thicken as the afternoon went on, but can attest to daytime fun.