“Regular visitors of this great museum”

Milwaukee Public Museum
Milwaukee Sightseeing Bus Tour
Ranked #5 of 174 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Featuring more than 4.5 million objects and a variety of exciting exhibits, this is considered one of the best natural history museums in the United States. Kohl's Thank You Thursday allows free admission to the museum the first Thursday of every month with extended hours (9 a.m. - 8 p.m.).
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Appleton, Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Regular visitors of this great museum”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Special exhibits are always well done, interesting and fun. Educational too of course, but the kids have to much fun they don't realize they are learning.
Butterfly exhibit is one of our favorite parts as long as everyone follows the rules and there aren't grabby kids or pushy people the exhibit is peaceful and lovely.
Lots of hands on areas for kids. It truly is a place you can go often and always find an area you may not have Had time for before.

Visited March 2012

• Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Streets of Old Milwaukee never get old....”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was born and raised in Milwaukee and love returning to the Museum periodically to see the Streets of Old Milwaukee. It brings back good memories and I love walking through the European Village as well. The staff are wonderful and knowledgeable. I can tell they really love their job. Never a disappointment!

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“My Favorite Museum.”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I'm not sure why this is my favorite Public Museum, but I absolutely love the Old Milwaukee area (like being able to actually buy candy in the "old candy store" and being able to go up the stairwell to see the view from up above and inside the rooms). I also love the Europe Village area and the Rainforst exhibit (especially with the hanging sloth and feeling like you are "with the workers" in the trees up above). I remember bringing my parents here every time that they would visit me in college and I will never forget my experiences here.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lauren B
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Staff made for a excellent experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were in town and had a day to use up. I ended up taking our 2 year old to the museum for the day. He loves dinosaurs and there is a section of dinosaurs to view. He also liked the butterfly exhibit. He seemed to enjoy the experience.

What I liked was some supper friendly staff members. They went out of there way making us feel welcome. From the multiple good mornings, to the people monitoring the butterfly exhibit they all were welcoming turning this into a fine experience. There are many bigger, fancier museums in the world but I have yet to experience one that has such friendly staff. It was a busy Saturday and yet they took the time making sure our experience was top notch.

There are other things I liked. I felt the price for the value was right online. I also ate lunch here as well. It was standard food that you find in any other museums such as precooked pizza but they also offered made to order burgers. We also stopped by the gift shop and was surprised that this also was a good value. We found several items that my son liked and they were all reasonably priced. Other places seem to hike the prices up yet this gift shop seemed to be happy making something without gouging people.

Overall this was an excellent experience. It has three floors of exhibits. The second floor usually has a section reserved for a special exhibit that does normally cost extra. They also have an Imax dome that you can pay extra for to see a show that generally has some educational value. Even without all the extras the museum has good value and kept our interest for the day.

Visited February 2013
Northern Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“See the Pirate while they're there!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Sporadically over the years we have taken our children and grandchildren to this museum. It's been a few years since we have been there, and we were all in Milwaukee at the same time and made it a family event. The museum is great in itself and we have enjoyed it over the years. Because it's been a few years, it was great to go back and go through it again. We had the wonderful opportunity of going to the Pirates Exhibit - it was AWESOME!! Definitely use the Family 4 pack if they have it and you have that many people (we used more than 1). It is definitely a deal. If you have a chance, see it - it is some great history!

Visited January 2013