“One of the best breakfasts in Milwaukee”
Review of The National

The National
Ranked #148 of 1,571 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Every aspect of the meal was perfect, from the homemade jams to the coffee, the vegetarian options- everything.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although this little cafe has been open 5 years, I never noticed it before, but I will be back. Ordering is done at the counter, and your completed salads, sandwiches, home made chips, and drinks are brought to the table. Lunchtime on a week day was surprisingly busy, but tables turned over quickly. Artisan bread and veggie sandwich were terrific as was my daughter's wrap. I wish I had left more room for dessert as the chocolate concoction was delicious. I would expect this cafe to be in a tonier neighborhood. A greener view and Outdoor seating would be a great addition. The National is special. (Also offers catering service which I will use for our next family lunch)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My daughter (15) and I dined at The National for our first time yesterday for a Sunday breakfast, and we were wowed! Chef Nell and her staff are amazing - the menu screems imagination and originality, and the executioin is flawless! I admired Nell's work at Thirst & Vine in Shorewood, and now thank my lucky stars that my palate will continue to be graced by her exquisite creations.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Good variety. Tasty food. I was surprised that they had gluten free options. Pleasant atmosphere and staff.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stopped on Saturday afternoon. The decor was artsy local cafe. The food was, to put it simply, amazing!

I had the ahi tuna sandwich. My wife had the french toast-wich. Both were an explosion of flavor in small package. Both were well presented with cut fruit.

The place is a bit pricey; we got out of there with $25 for two, a can of coke was $1.50. But good restaurants need to make back their investment in good ingredients, and boy was it worth it. This is a "Come back to." The food is great, they care about local suppliers, not too crowded, with a fun twist on regular favorites.

Foodies, it's seriously worth checking out.