“Third time won't be the charm!”
Review of Braise

Braise
Ranked #148 of 1,547 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We tried this restaurant for the second time last night. We were on the fence after our last first visit. We love the local food/small plate trend and are regulars at La Merenda and Odd Duck. Clearly, the chefs at Braise care greatly about the food and are talented (we tried some very good items). However, the experience overall is lacking. The menu is a little too small. In my opinion, they need more options. It was tough for us to choose enough items. The portion sizes are also small for the price and versus the other similar restaurants. The staff takes themselves a bit too seriously (in fairness, we've only dined at the bar). I asked for a Sauvignon Blanc and the bartender said they don't carry it because they are trying to "get people more into rose wines". This is a good example of the problem with Braise. It's as if they are trying to convert the uneducated (dumb?) customers regarding the "right" foods and wines as opposed to sharing the experience with them in a friendly, open way. I shared my comments with the manager and I felt she wasn't really interested in my opinion. Bottom line, the place is snooty. We won't be back.

3  Thank bcrs3

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My good friend and I dined at Braise on a Tuesday evening. Had a reservation but probably didn't need one (we arrived when they opened at 5pm) and were seated promptly.

Enjoyed our delicious meal at the "Food Bar", which offered a view of a sous chef focused on preparing the appetizers. We had a wonderful experience. She had the lamb and loved it. I had the roasted chicken breast and was blown away.

If it is on the menu when you go, you must try the lemon tart dessert...which was a taste adventure...the lemon tart shell was crisp and light, the filling also light with the right balance of citrus and sweet. The blueberry goat cheese (yes! cheese in ice cream) was excellent. Almond toffee crumble and a swath of fruity jam on the plate--great. The best part: every combination offered a different taste sensation...tart with jam = yummy. Ice cream with crumble = fantastic. Tart with jam and ice cream = wow!

Kudos to the chefs at Braise that focus on locally sourced ingredients made delicious. The restaurant is part of a larger service offering that includes culinary classes and home delivery of local food products from fruit to protein.

Service was also top notch. Servers were able to answer most questions about ingredients new to us...chefs were able to answer them all. My ingredient vocabulary has been improved (and I watch a lot of cooking shows including Chopped).

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I went to this restaurant with my friend, Barb, sister, Chris, and her daughter, Sarah. All the ingredients are fresh and the menu changes frequently. I had a celery soup with mushrooms to start and had chicken breast for my main course. Both dished were excellent. The chicken was perfectly done, on a bed of spinach with herb cheese and paired with a tasty hask brown triangle with special spices. As it was my sister's birthday, we had absolutely delicious desserts. I had cardamon beignets with pistachio/chocolate cream. Outstanding. My niece and sister had a chocolate dessert, which they loved. The service and atmosphere were also very impressive. I highly recommend Braise. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Outstanding star in the Milwaukee locavore movement. The atmosphere was great. The spicing imaginative. If you want to talk to your companions you might prefer a table in the bar area. The back room is loud even when half full. What was that amazing dessert?

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I think we ate the menu and something's twice. The bar in front of the kitchen is hot ,but fun. We were a table of six and it made it difficult to talk. I would say 4 max.
The food was excellent, I would like to see some red meat dishes the next time we go, which should be in April.