“This is the best restaurant in Milwaukee” 5 of 5 bubbles

Braise
Ranked #80 of 1,498 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Thousand Oaks, CA
“This is the best restaurant in Milwaukee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I went to this restaurant with my friend, Barb, sister, Chris, and her daughter, Sarah. All the ingredients are fresh and the menu changes frequently. I had a celery soup with mushrooms to start and had chicken breast for my main course. Both dished were excellent. The chicken was perfectly done, on a bed of spinach with herb cheese and paired with a tasty hask brown triangle with special spices. As it was my sister's birthday, we had absolutely delicious desserts. I had cardamon beignets with pistachio/chocolate cream. Outstanding. My niece and sister had a chocolate dessert, which they loved. The service and atmosphere were also very impressive. I highly recommend Braise. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles
“Sublime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Outstanding star in the Milwaukee locavore movement. The atmosphere was great. The spicing imaginative. If you want to talk to your companions you might prefer a table in the bar area. The back room is loud even when half full. What was that amazing dessert?

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wisconsin
“At the chef's table with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I think we ate the menu and something's twice. The bar in front of the kitchen is hot ,but fun. We were a table of six and it made it difficult to talk. I would say 4 max.
The food was excellent, I would like to see some red meat dishes the next time we go, which should be in April.

• Visited January 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Sit at the Food Bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

You're going to want to make a reservation and yeah a complete dinner for two is going to run you $90-$100 but Braise is worth it! They have a really nice front bar, a decent size dining area with long, family style dining but if you are in the mood for a unique experience, you're going to want to sit at the "Food Bar" with a full view of the kitchen. When we went, David Swanson (the owner and head chef) himself served us and provided awesome tips, menu pairings and even a free appetizer that had been prepared by mistake and had nowhere to go but my stomach. Such are the benefits of the food bar. You can also watch as the assistant chef's prepare each of the unique and ever changing (week to week) dishes that the patrons are eating. Really cool experience. Most if not all of the food prep is done in house and everything is sourced from local farmers. The building was an old bowling alley and much of the wood from the lanes was converted into the tables, bars and wall wood paneling which creates a very interesting atmosphere. They do great things with the lighting in this space as well. Both the food and the experience were delightful and we will be back!

• Visited August 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Unexpected delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We heard about this place and stopped by for a late drink/food after seeing a play in the theater. The service was great and regardless of late hours we had the most delicious appetizers and desert. They were definitely not something you would find anywhere else and we decided that we definitely will be back for a fool dinner to try the rest of the menu.

• Visited March 2013