“Contemporary Restaurant - Quality Food on Milwaukee's Lower East Side”
Review of Via Downer - CLOSED

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Via Downer is a wonderful experience. The atmosphere is contemporary urban with that revitalized warehouse look. Brick walls, high ceilings, steel/chrome beaming etc. and the working kitchen visible to all....the smells waft through the air. They have a broad menu that includes featuring local products and will tweak items to accommodate special dietary needs/wants; including gluten free. They are known for their pizza's so give that a try but the other menu items are wonderful. They have daily specials that should be reviewed before going. Their sister property is Transfer Pizzeria. The staff is friendly and it appears from their interaction with each other and their patrons, that they enjoy working at Via. This restaurant is located in a quaint area of the lower east side of MIlwaukee on Downer Ave., near the U.W. Milwaukee campus and there is a nice variety of boutique stores, restaurants, and a family owned grocery store surrounding it. They have a smaller sidewalk patio along with the other establishments in the area so it is a nice option to enjoy outdoor dining and then spend some time checking out the area...afterwards, take a short walk to Lake Park and enjoy the spectacular views of Lake Michigan, the lighthouse and the water fall near the Lake Park Bistro.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

we like the menu. a bit different and several healthy choices along with good pizza. friendly vibrant atmosphere.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I went to this restaurant a few days ago and we ordered an appetizer, two glasses of wine and two entrees. The restaurant was busy and it took some time to get our appetizer which was delicious. We had the Spanish aioli with toast. For dinner my wife had Tuscan chicken and I had Beef Spiedini. My wife liked her dinner but I thought mine was OK. Also the portion size was small for my standard (btw I am not a big guy). Anyway, not sure if I will go back for food, maybe drinks. Prices were a little on the high side for entrees

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We really struck it rich with a great bottle of malbec wine for 1/2 price on Monday, a couple of very good pizzas and salads, and children happy with their choices. Then came the one order of eggplant - supposedly with feta cheese and a vegetable array. It failed to the point of being the only dish ever sent back by anyone at our table. Totally tasteless, almost no feta, and nothing appealing. The restaurant was gracious enough to give us a great pizza instead and a piece of tiramisou as it was my birthday. Service was excellent and the jazz musicians another bonus.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went here for a couple pizzas and a bottle of wine. Absolutely loved each of the pizzas but was very disappointed with the wine. I understand the usual restaurant markups on wine, but the via cabernet was really not good at all and is way overpriced, even at $30.

We were very happy with our server. He was polite and attentive.