“Excellent everything!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“Excellent everything!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Service, food, selection of craft beer and location all top notch. Sit outside upstairs if you can, but inside is beautiful as well. If your visiting the Third Ward area of Milwaukee make this a definite dining destination!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Delicious and in a great location!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Went here on a business dinner on a beautiful summer day. While we did not want to wait for rooftop seating, we did get a spot outside on the sidewalk which was just as pleasant. (I hear the rooftop is gorgeous though.) Our waiter was absolutely wonderful and very attentive; I wish I could remember his name. The food and cocktails were fabulous - three of us got the Frazzleberry cocktail (vodka, lemonade and FRESH raspberries) and it was so delicious we had two! The only downfall was that I had ordered chicken in my salad, and it was forgotten - not sure whose mistake that was, but when I brought it to my server's attention he had the kitchen cook me up some chicken immediately and bring it out, which was appreciated. Another quirk I like about this place is they have a little store in the back with cute little items and souvenirs. This is part of the Lowlands Group of restaurants, which rarely disappoint. Two thumbs up from me!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank HappyTraveler3434
Salem, Massachusetts
“Extensive amount of beers, okay food”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was in Milwaukee for business and went to eat dinner here with my co-workers. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but my co-workers spent a good 15-20 minutes deciding on beer alone. They were very excited about all the options. I decided to try an apricot beer that was brewed in Milwaukee and it was very refreshing. Besides the tater tot appetizer, there really wasn't much that jumped out at me. I ended up having salmon on top of a cold green bean salad. It was cooked well, but not very exciting. The menu had everything from burgers to a type of belgian crepe to seafood fra diavolo pasta, a bit all over the place.

Dixon, Illinois
“Affordable burger and brew with rooftop seating”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Benelux was definitely the most-desired restaurant of all the decent ones in this area of downtown. Inside seating also looked great, but the rooftop was fabulous for a pleasant summer evening.

We were told we would need to wait 25 minutes for a rooftop seat, but were pleasantly surprised when the wait was only 5-10 minutes. Service was excellent and staff was friendly and helpful.

My wife and I both had excellent burgers (the Sprocket-$14 and the Merckx-$13), and they offered a huge variety of local and imported brews (typically $5-$7). But the rooftop seating was the real attraction.

You should be able to find metered parking on the street for only a couple bucks within a couple blocks. After dinner, stroll through the Public Market across the street.

Milwaukee
“Beer, mussels, and frites, just like Bruxelles but closer”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stopped at Benelux after an afternoon at Summerfest. We were looking for better food than you can find at the festival, and Benelux did not disappoint. We sat outside on the sidewalk to avoid the 30 minute wait for a seat on the roof. The inside dining room was rather quiet for a Friday evening, but I think people wanted to be outside on a perfect evening.
I started off with a Duvel, and my wife had a Lindeman's peche. We then went to the entrees, a bucket of mussels Basque style (with chorizo) and sweet potato fries (enough for both of us!) and a pannekochen with asparagus, egg, ham, and other goodies. I washed it down with a Lowlands dubbel, which was recommended with the Basque mussels.
This is a fun place. I've been to Belgium, and always thought that a Belgian beer place would be successful in Milwaukee. We'll be back to one of the Lowlands restaurants when we have a hankering for mussels. I think they have some of the best in town, but I think I like the other two styles better than the Basque ones.
There's a better scenic view from the rooftop than the sidewalk. It's pretty good as long as you want to see the Third Ward, which is usually nicely busy.

• Visited July 2013