“Wrong Dish 45 Minutes Later”
Review of Sail Loft

Sail Loft
Ranked #127 of 1,571 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Loved Milwaukee. Sail Loft left me wanting. After ordering the Caprese Grilled Cheese (the waiter heard clearly because my friend ordered the same dish) I received a processed cheese sandwich 45 minutes later. My friend who ordered the same dish got the right plate. There was even a discussion with the waiter about the duplicate order. Management corrected the issue with the right plate after another 20 plus minute wait. BTW we were one of the only three occupied tables that night. Despite the screw up they took nothing off the bill.

Sail away from the Sail Loft!

1  Thank johnstravels67

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We are familiar with this venue and frequented it when it was Rip Tide. It's a beautiful place on the river, plenty of sun, beautiful outdoors, made even more lovely by gov't dollars to beautify the area just south of building. Surprisingly, when we were there on Thur eve, there were few patrons. Perhaps there is a service issue. Our server had a little too much oblivion.

We had crab dip, shrimp, mussels and beers. Seemed weird that they only had happy hour prices in the bar. I went in to get our drinks, because oblivious server didn't appear to be paying attn. We did get help from another server. Server didn't seem too bothered that she didn't notice that the shrimp was supposed to come with lemon and cocktail sauce; we had to ask for it. Shrimp is served cold. We prefer hot peel n eat. Flavor ok. Mussels came in a sauce that was absolutely fabulous!!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Sail Loft's outdoor patio is great! The drinks and food however are not! We waited way too long for drinks after our waitress took our initial drink order (a margarita & a strawberry daiquiri) she came back 10 minutes later without drinks telling us their blender it broken. The drinks (Capt & Coke and a Long-Island) we then ordered came without straws or limes taking another 5-10 minutes. Because it was hot out, we wanted blended drinks - makes sense right? We found it odd they didn't have at least 1 blender in that big of a bar & restaurant. We have 3 blenders at home. My Long-Island tasted nothing like it should. This disappointed and sadly began to set the tone. My wife had the blackened swordfish. The plate presentation - sides and fish - lacked any creativity and frankly didn't even look appealing. The fish itself was over-cooked, tasteless, and rubbery. The roasted red pepper risotto was aweful. The risotto was not cooked well (risotto requires attention to detail). Risotto should not be soupy and crunchy. The corn-mango salsa was a joke.The mango salsa was not fresh and had no fresh cilantro or fresh green, red, or jalepeno peppers. The mango and corn kernels were from a can. I may seem nit-picky but if you're spending $28 for swordfish, $25 for salmon and $20+ for drinks - it better be darn good. A manager noticed our disappointment and asked if we wanted a different entree or side. We declined. The Scottish salmon was better but also was overcooked and dry. The sundried tomato cream sauce was poor. I would not order salmon here again. The salmon sides were good and complimented better than the swordfish. Neither of these entrees though are worth their high prices. You can get better fish entrees at Ruby Tuesday and TGI-Fridays . . . for half the cost. The manager offered to take half of our tab which we appreciated. Dinner here was not satisfying. There are many other places in Milwaukee that do dinners better.

1  Thank MKEnative
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had lunch with friends here on a weekday. The food is very expensive and not very good. Our server was a very nice young lady. Unfortunately there was a jerk behind the bar who was yelling at somebody continuously. I think he was the owner or the manager, but he was a jerk anyway. We were concerned that it would be crowded since it was the "lunch rush". There were only two other people in the whole place. Apparently word is getting out about this dump. STAY AWAY!!

1  Thank FTKT
Reviewed June 19, 2012

On Father’s Day I was enjoying my afternoon watching the boats travel around the bend on their way out to Lake Michigan. I was waiting for my Husband and Son to return from their annual Father’s Day Museum outing. Sailloft has an area one foot east of their patio that has been designed with an L-shaped bar and bar stools with a perfect view. This area apparently is a “no service” zone and you have to get your own drinks at the bar. I asked the waitress if I could order an appetizer, she reinforced the “no service” policy, but said she would ask her manager. She returned and told me I would need to order my food from inside the Restaurant. Soon a couple with two teenage girls sat next to me, I was about to tell them about the “no service” policy, when the same waitress brought them menu’s and took their food and drink orders! If you are going to have a policy in place, you should apply it to everyone. The manager even came by after they were done eating and apologized for the slow service. Unbelievable!

1  Thank frequenttraveller262