“Great value, excellent service”

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
Ranked #49 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great value, excellent service”
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I had a great experience at the Inn. I had read a lot of bad reviews, but I contacted the manager before staying and found out that they just finished remodeling in May 07. We were in town for a convention for a week and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The shuttle service was a great feature. They dropped us off and picked us up anywhere we wanted to go in Milwaukee. The employees and service was excellent. Great value for the price.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — The doors were difficult to open and close
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank csharpsurf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed overnight at the Ambassador Inn while moving our son into Marquette University. The hotel was actually named as one of the places to stay on Marquette's website. I usually check the reviews on trip advisor before booking a hotel, but this time I made the mistake of taking the university's recommendation. I have never written a review here before, but I hope to save someone else from making the same mistake I made. Upon our arrival we found the lobby to be digny and the staff to be very unfriendly. The room was dirty. The lighting was very dim, probably so we wouldn't notice how dirty the carpet was. The bathroom was also dirty. There was hair on the floor and in the tub. It was disgusting. The tub looked like it had not been cleaned. The water did not go down the drain well and the water pressure was terrible. This hotel does not offer the amenities of other similarly priced hotels. Actually, it does not offer any amenities. For example, we could not even order a movie off the television in the room. There was no ice machine on the third floor; you had to go down to the first floor to get ice. The continental breakfast offered by this hotel was a joke. It was set up on a tiny table in the lobby and offered only pre-packaged muffins, nothing else. There was not even coffee or juice. After a long day of moving our son into his dorm, we were exhausted. If we had not been so tired, we would have tried to stay somewhere else. We will be visiting Milwaukee often over the next four years and we will never stay here again. We will be sure to tell all friends and family visiting Milwaukee to "stay somewhere else".

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gmkChicago

Travelers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We were 6 ladies on a weekend tour and had gotten three rooms in a four star hotel through Priceline which ended up being the Ambassador Hotel. Unfortunately when we checked in we found that Priceline had only reserved 1 room for us and the Ambassador Hotel said they did not have 2 more rooms available. They did offer us 3 rooms at the Ambassador Inn and would honor our Priceline rate. (Priceline was in error and I did receive a credit on my Visa for 2 rooms.) We were very disappointed but we were happy to have a place to stay. We were ok with the rooms but the hallways were a little dingy and the toilet in one of the rooms would not flush. There was some hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathtub in my room. And - I did not see it until we were ready to leave but there was a blood spot on one of the bedspreads. Yuk. If we had seen it the night before we certainly would have demanded a clean bedspread. I did not notice any offensive odors.

They need to pick up on cleanliness of the rooms but the beds were very comfortable and all in all in was not a terrible experience. However, I probably would not intentionally book a room at the Ambassador Inn.

The complimentary shuttle from the Ambassador was available to us and we used it. Had a great time. All staff were friendly and helpful.

I'm a country bumpkin and not familar with Milwaukee so I don't know if it was a bad neighborhood or not. The streets were clean, there were well-kept historic buildings on the block and the people I saw were families and well behaved. Unfortunately there are those who think that if a neighborhood is inhabited primarily by minorities it's a bad neighborhood. Maybe it was a bad neighborhood, maybe not. I did not feel as though I was in danger.

• Liked — Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — Not as clean as it should have been.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank WIBumpkin
Minneapolis
Reviewed June 30, 2007

I was looking for a hotel near downtown that wasn't too expensive and found the Ambassador Inn at an affordable rate. When I booked the reservation, I had thought that I had a room at the Ambassador Hotel (and gotten a great deal). Turns out that the Ambassador Inn is the old Executive Inn, sitting across the street from the Ambassador Hotel. It appears that the owners of the Ambassador Hotel have bought this place and spruced it up considerably, but I think they still have some work to do.

Positives:
- Relatively cheap rates
- Good location (near downtown, a mile from miller park, maybe 2 miles from the "real" downtown)
- Free parking
- Good shuttle service through the Ambassador Hotel to major tourist spots
- Nice beds

Negatives:
-Still appears to be a work in progress: front lobby looks unfinished, only appears to have one person on staff in this building
- Pretty boring, none of the flair, services, or accomodations of the Ambassador hotel

All in all, it was a fine experience, and I expect that the Ambassador Inn will continue to improve as they put more money into the place.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PaulSonda
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I am a business traveler and I should have been smart enough to read reviews of this hotel before coming to Milwaukee. HUGE MISTAKE!!! This hotel was terrible. The room was so gross that I wouldn't even sleep under the bedspread. The carpet was covered with stains, as was the bedspreads. The sink in the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and was disgusting. The ac was set for 45 (yes, 45) and yet it felt like 85 in the room. There was no internet access in the rooms (well, dial up, if you call that access) which was very misleading on their web-site. The web-site states that there is free high-speed wireless access, yet that is only in the hotel lobby or across the street. What business traveler wants to use DIAL-UP??? There was no desk, which according to the web-site is also a standard amenity. The room didn't even have an alarm clock!!! I had to check in across the street which was very annoying when I arrived in the evening. They told me at the front desk of the Ambassador Hotel (where I had to check in) that the computer systems were down at the Executive. Yet there is a gold-plated sign in the door of the Executive asking evening guests to check in across the street. They can't afford a front desk staff at the Executive? Because there was no staff (I saw NO ONE, even though I was told there was security) I did not feel safe in the hotel. Even bolting and using the safety chain did not make me feel safe. It's too bad this hotel was so awful because it does have one thing going for it, location.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 6, 2006

This hotel was absolutely filthy--stains on the carpet, the bedspread and the furniture. Very strong odor in the room. I've never seen such a disgusting place. I've stayed at cleaner $30 a night hotels off of major freeways in my younger days. The hotel is managed by a place across the street called the Ambassador Hotel. There is no one monitoring the desk at the Executive Inn and you are required to cross the street to check in at the Ambassador. There did not seem to be much in the way of security. The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy and without anyone at the front desk I would be concerned about safety, particularly in the evenings. The hotel lobby also appeared to be a place for all sorts of people to congregate (as the front door is not locked). In fact, several hours after checking in I called to complain and upgraded to the Ambassador (which by the way is a spectacular hotel--5 stars). I had to pay more but given the situation at the Executive Inn it was worth it. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider staying here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank wanderer888
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2005

We had a serious problem in missing a business meeting due to an error in giving us a wake up call. Left 7 messages for John Lindsey (manager) to call me to discuss this problem. Filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which gave him 2 chances to respond. He didn't. This is not the first time that the better business bureau has tried to resolve a complaint. I know the owner is trying to salvage the reputation of this hotel, and has spent a great deal of time and money to do so. He should look into his general manager, who is costing him business.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milwaukee
Ambassador Hotel
#44 of 56 in Milwaukee
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee West
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee Downtown
SpringHill Suites Milwaukee Downtown

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!