“Falsely Advertised”

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
Ranked #48 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed February 10, 2009

My daughters booked a room for my birthday weekend for a trip to the casino for the three of us. They were all excited thinking they got such a great deal with a $69.99 room rate.

Boy were we shocked to find out that all the nice pictures and amenities listed on our email confirmation were of the property across 6-lane Wisconsin Avenue. The parking lot was littered, the outside of the building had grafitti and the lobby and reservation desk were dimly lit and unattended. The only person we saw upon check-in was a "seedy looking" man returning from McDonald's.

We ended up paying double the price to stay across the street at the Hotel. The casino shuttle was late, there are no microwaves in the rooms and I have no idea about the continental breakfast we were supposed to get from our email as no one told us about it when or where to get it. I would not recommend the Ambassador Inn as I feel they falsely adverstise the property with pictures and amenities from the Hotel across the street. You think (and they imply and advertise) that you are getting one thing and you totally are getting something else. We thought we were getting Taj Mahal and really it was more like Motel 6.

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank CasinoGirls

Reviewed November 17, 2008

My wife and I drove four hours to Milwaukee for a weekend getaway. I had researched other hotels and seriously considered staying at the Ambassador Hotel for its ambeince, ammenities, and location. I had accidentally come across reviews for the Inn, which is coincidentally, right across the street from the hotel. In an effort to save a few bucks (approximately $50 per night), and after speaking to an Ambassador Inn employee on the phone, opted to stay at the Inn.

The Inn is a no-frills property in sharp contrast to the Hotel. A mere three stories tall, it boasts an elevator, of which was the smallest I have ever ridden. I forgot to look at the load limit, but I doubt that more than three persons could fit within. The room was a typical room at any chain-style hotel. In an effort to conserve energy, fluorescent bulbs were installed throughout, and only dimly lit the room. The room, was what is was, a cheap place to sleep. It seems that efforts have been attempted, such as furnishing Aveda products in the bath and Wolfgang Puck's coffee for the coffee maker, but the proerty is looking a bit tired upon closer inspection.

The breakfast buffet was the most laughable of all our hotel stays. The coffee was actually dispensed from one of those gas-station-push-button-for-selection machines. We walked in, joked that the place was by far the worst and walked across the street to the Ambassador Hotel.

Perhaps it was my own expectations that were dashed from our stay at the Inn, particularly when held in contrast to its adjoining property, the Hotel, but I would not stay at the Inn upon future visits. We enjoyed many of the ammenities offered just across the street and would bite the bullet and pay the extra money to avoid the feeling of disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roguedharma
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I love the Ambassador Inn! Can't stay anywhere else now. Great staff, comfortable beds, very clean, good continental breakfast (but lacked fresh fruit). Can use the business center across the street at the Fabulous Ambassador Hotel. We went across the street all the time- to the cafe, the Envoy bar and restaurant. All great. Excellent shuttle service- go anywhere downtown. What a great service. Even will take you to Miller Park!

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We had a great stay at the Ambassador. We arrived about 15 min before official check in, and so we grabbed a drink in the hotel bar. It was nicely decorated and the staff were friendly.

Once we got the the room (8th floor), we were pleased by how big and clean it was. I am a very picky person when it comes to cleanliness, so I was concerned when I read other reviews. Maybe they are improving, but our room was spotless. The bed, lines, robes, etc... were all fine.

We made dinner of several types of appetizers from the bar. The weather was great, so we elected to sit out on the patio and do some people watching as we enjoyed the food and drinks.

The next morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and it was amazing. Our waiter was a bit on the surly side, but we chose to overlook it.

The only negative was that only 1 elevator was working and so sometimes it took a LONG time to get to the 8th floor or down to the 1st.

We will stay at the Ambassador again and hope that our fabulous experience will repeat itself.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and I and a friend stayed at the Ambassador Inn in September. I quite liked the place. The room was clean, though the bathroom needed a little work. I loved the complimentary body wash and shampoo, smelled great and left me feeling clean and soft. The shower had great water pressure, strong enough to wash you clean, but not prickly! The beds were comfortable, and the decor was surprisingly unique. The snappy jazz music that is softly piped in in the stairwell and hallways made me feel like I was in a movie! It is somewhat a party hotel since there is a popular concert location next to it, but even with Finger Eleven in town we didn't have a problem with the noise. As to it being in a bad neighborhood, we didn't see it. Sure walking around we saw some run down houses, but it is a big city, that is something you should expect. We didn't see drug deals at every corner or panhandlers or anything like that. I felt safe in the area. You can sign in at the hotel now, and the front desk was helpful and courteous. Its not the Taj Mahal, but it was comfortable and clean and the location is great!

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We had two reservation at this hotel and had a client cancel
our meeting that early afternoon. We called the hotel and
came to find out they have a 48 hour cancellation policy.
So we had to pay for two full room rates.

Just a heads up if you are a business traveler, this hotel I am sure
is very nice, but they are very inflexible with cancellation. Keep this in mind for your trip and the possiblity of a change in your schedule.

It really does pay to read the fine print.....

Reviewed August 28, 2007

I had a great experience at the Inn. I had read a lot of bad reviews, but I contacted the manager before staying and found out that they just finished remodeling in May 07. We were in town for a convention for a week and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The shuttle service was a great feature. They dropped us off and picked us up anywhere we wanted to go in Milwaukee. The employees and service was excellent. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business