“I love the Ambassador Inn”

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
Ranked #49 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I love the Ambassador Inn! Can't stay anywhere else now. Great staff, comfortable beds, very clean, good continental breakfast (but lacked fresh fruit). Can use the business center across the street at the Fabulous Ambassador Hotel. We went across the street all the time- to the cafe, the Envoy bar and restaurant. All great. Excellent shuttle service- go anywhere downtown. What a great service. Even will take you to Miller Park!

Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed November 12, 2007

We had a great stay at the Ambassador. We arrived about 15 min before official check in, and so we grabbed a drink in the hotel bar. It was nicely decorated and the staff were friendly.

Once we got the the room (8th floor), we were pleased by how big and clean it was. I am a very picky person when it comes to cleanliness, so I was concerned when I read other reviews. Maybe they are improving, but our room was spotless. The bed, lines, robes, etc... were all fine.

We made dinner of several types of appetizers from the bar. The weather was great, so we elected to sit out on the patio and do some people watching as we enjoyed the food and drinks.

The next morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and it was amazing. Our waiter was a bit on the surly side, but we chose to overlook it.

The only negative was that only 1 elevator was working and so sometimes it took a LONG time to get to the 8th floor or down to the 1st.

We will stay at the Ambassador again and hope that our fabulous experience will repeat itself.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and I and a friend stayed at the Ambassador Inn in September. I quite liked the place. The room was clean, though the bathroom needed a little work. I loved the complimentary body wash and shampoo, smelled great and left me feeling clean and soft. The shower had great water pressure, strong enough to wash you clean, but not prickly! The beds were comfortable, and the decor was surprisingly unique. The snappy jazz music that is softly piped in in the stairwell and hallways made me feel like I was in a movie! It is somewhat a party hotel since there is a popular concert location next to it, but even with Finger Eleven in town we didn't have a problem with the noise. As to it being in a bad neighborhood, we didn't see it. Sure walking around we saw some run down houses, but it is a big city, that is something you should expect. We didn't see drug deals at every corner or panhandlers or anything like that. I felt safe in the area. You can sign in at the hotel now, and the front desk was helpful and courteous. Its not the Taj Mahal, but it was comfortable and clean and the location is great!

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We had two reservation at this hotel and had a client cancel
our meeting that early afternoon. We called the hotel and
came to find out they have a 48 hour cancellation policy.
So we had to pay for two full room rates.

Just a heads up if you are a business traveler, this hotel I am sure
is very nice, but they are very inflexible with cancellation. Keep this in mind for your trip and the possiblity of a change in your schedule.

It really does pay to read the fine print.....

Reviewed August 28, 2007

I had a great experience at the Inn. I had read a lot of bad reviews, but I contacted the manager before staying and found out that they just finished remodeling in May 07. We were in town for a convention for a week and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The shuttle service was a great feature. They dropped us off and picked us up anywhere we wanted to go in Milwaukee. The employees and service was excellent. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank csharpsurf
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed overnight at the Ambassador Inn while moving our son into Marquette University. The hotel was actually named as one of the places to stay on Marquette's website. I usually check the reviews on trip advisor before booking a hotel, but this time I made the mistake of taking the university's recommendation. I have never written a review here before, but I hope to save someone else from making the same mistake I made. Upon our arrival we found the lobby to be digny and the staff to be very unfriendly. The room was dirty. The lighting was very dim, probably so we wouldn't notice how dirty the carpet was. The bathroom was also dirty. There was hair on the floor and in the tub. It was disgusting. The tub looked like it had not been cleaned. The water did not go down the drain well and the water pressure was terrible. This hotel does not offer the amenities of other similarly priced hotels. Actually, it does not offer any amenities. For example, we could not even order a movie off the television in the room. There was no ice machine on the third floor; you had to go down to the first floor to get ice. The continental breakfast offered by this hotel was a joke. It was set up on a tiny table in the lobby and offered only pre-packaged muffins, nothing else. There was not even coffee or juice. After a long day of moving our son into his dorm, we were exhausted. If we had not been so tired, we would have tried to stay somewhere else. We will be visiting Milwaukee often over the next four years and we will never stay here again. We will be sure to tell all friends and family visiting Milwaukee to "stay somewhere else".

2  Thank gmkChicago
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We were 6 ladies on a weekend tour and had gotten three rooms in a four star hotel through Priceline which ended up being the Ambassador Hotel. Unfortunately when we checked in we found that Priceline had only reserved 1 room for us and the Ambassador Hotel said they did not have 2 more rooms available. They did offer us 3 rooms at the Ambassador Inn and would honor our Priceline rate. (Priceline was in error and I did receive a credit on my Visa for 2 rooms.) We were very disappointed but we were happy to have a place to stay. We were ok with the rooms but the hallways were a little dingy and the toilet in one of the rooms would not flush. There was some hair on the bathroom floor and in the bathtub in my room. And - I did not see it until we were ready to leave but there was a blood spot on one of the bedspreads. Yuk. If we had seen it the night before we certainly would have demanded a clean bedspread. I did not notice any offensive odors.

They need to pick up on cleanliness of the rooms but the beds were very comfortable and all in all in was not a terrible experience. However, I probably would not intentionally book a room at the Ambassador Inn.

The complimentary shuttle from the Ambassador was available to us and we used it. Had a great time. All staff were friendly and helpful.

I'm a country bumpkin and not familar with Milwaukee so I don't know if it was a bad neighborhood or not. The streets were clean, there were well-kept historic buildings on the block and the people I saw were families and well behaved. Unfortunately there are those who think that if a neighborhood is inhabited primarily by minorities it's a bad neighborhood. Maybe it was a bad neighborhood, maybe not. I did not feel as though I was in danger.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends