“more like a motel than an Inn”

Ambassador Inn at Marquette
Ranked #48 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently vacationed to Milwaukee (over labor day weekend.) I will say that the hotel WAS clean. Both people at the front desk we dealt with were pleasant and helpful. The elevator is scary!!! The floors are badly stained (everywhere.) They only have double double-size beds (no King or Queen suites). The hallways smelled awful. The breakfast area has ONE tiny table. We walked into the breakfast area and walked right back out, across the street to the Ambassador Hotel and got something at their cafe (which has Starbucks and goodies.) I would NOT recommend counting on this place for breakfast. There IS free parking!!! People talk about the area: it's downtown guys. It's blocks from Marquette University, about 2 blocks from the Pabst mansion, and about a block from the ghetto. There ARE people walking around at night but my boyfriend and I felt comfortable and never felt like we were in danger. There's a great breakfast place a couple blocks away called the broken yolk: delicious food. No pool :( If you pay more than $75-$100 / night for your stay here, you're being robbed. 2-star at most.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rnjbeachbabe
There are newer reviews for Ambassador Inn at Marquette

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Definitely not a fancy place, but on a sub $100 discount it was worth it for a trip to the university. A lot of people stayed in the hotel for the Brewers' game. Looks somewhat dumpy on the outside and common areas. Rooms were nothing to rave about but do have flat panel TV's. Decent quality Sealy mattress with Pacific Down comforters. Small bathrooms with a single sink.

The positives are the shuttle service that will transport you to/from any location in the downtown metro area and the hotel has wi-fi and USB in the rooms. The restaurant in the hotel across the street is convenient, but a bit pricey for dinner. Found staff to be helpful and pleasant. I wouldn't stay here with young children since it is off the beaten path and has the potential to attract "weekend partiers".

Room Tip: All rooms in the Inn appeared to be of the same quality.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel was selected basically only because of location and the relatively small selection of hotels near the casino. The area is "urban" (as stated by the front desk). I didn't leave the hotel once I arrived. It wasn't a super bad area but it was enough to be of a concern. Room was very good. Internet was very slow. A strong odor was present in the hallways. Upon leaving at 2AM in the morning for work I got stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes. I had to pry the door open to get out. Called the front desk said someone will be over shortly to look. Well glad I got out because I am out of there for good now.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Had a good experience with this hotel. Across the street from the pricier Ambassador Hotel with all the same amenities available at a less expensive price. Cardio room in the inn, continental breakfast. Right next to Marquette and driving distance to downtown with a shuttle that runs most if the day. The neighborhood wasn't ideal for exploring at night but other than that a good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank A M
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I've stayed here several times when I've been on business trips and other hotels were booked or very expensive. The property has improved since my first stays. I stayed for one night in September and it was fine. Room was clean, comfortable and spacious. I love the free parking which makes it an even better value. The best part is their sister property, the Ambassador Hotel, a beautifully renovated art deco hotel, is across the street. The Inn has complimentary breakfast but I never tried it. I go across the street to the cute cafe to get a latte. I had dinner in their bar/lounge and it was fabulous. They have a fantastic menu. They had drink specials, too. So I love that even though the inn is spartan, you can go across the street to enjoy the amenities of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SFCupCake
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I booked late for my trip so a lot of good hotels were booked, i figured this one have 3.9 review on hotels.com and for 100 dollars how bad can it be. well very very bad, damp and smelly elevator and hallways, bad room, AC on all night and loud, spots on the carpet and the bed sheets, uncomfortable pillows. And their free breakfast is Cereal only.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank travellotcities
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We booked two rooms for us and another couple for a weekend trip to milwaukee downtown on Expedia. When we tried to check in, they told us that they had overbooked, and that they were paying for us to stay at another hotel. OK, we could live with that, except the hotel was 10 miles away, by the airport, and exactly what we WEREN"T looking for.

In addition. when we were there, there was a homeless lady in the lobby, that started to give my wife a hard time, while the manager on duty and the doorman/security just sat there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank businesstraveler9745
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milwaukee
Ambassador Hotel
SpringHill Suites Milwaukee Downtown
Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee
Days Inn & Suites Milwaukee
#44 of 56 in Milwaukee

Been to Ambassador Inn at Marquette? Share your experiences!