“Cool Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Milwaukee
London, United KIngdom
“Cool Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

I thought this hotel was great. As soon as i entered i was greated by a friendly member of staff, who had checked me in within minutes and was on my way to my room. As i entered my room, it was a instant wow! Surley this isnt my room i said to myself! I couldnt believe the size of it. I have travelled extensivley and the only thing i could compare this to was a suite, which you would normally pay way more for. It was spotless. The bed was amazing especially after a long flight from the UK, it was much needed! An excellent seating area with a massive flatscreen TV. I suppose the only negative point i could come up with is that the bathroom was a little on the small side. Being a man that really didnt bother me, but thought if your a lady and you like to spend a lot of time in the bathroom with all your bits and bobs it might not be for you. Other than that everything else is a plus in this hotel - Great bar, Excellent food, and a shuttle that takes you to downtown.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank UsaCanadaSpecialist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Cedar Rapids, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

My stay at the Ambassador Hotel was overall very good. We had a room with two queen beds, and I found the room to be spatious. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel is in a great location if you are planning on seeing a show at the Eagles Club, which we were. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to downtown, the ballpark, and other area attractions. I did not use the shuttle, but I thought that was a nice amenity.

The only issue I had, which affected my rating, is when we checked in at the front desk they said my reservation was for the Ambassador Inn instead of the Ambassador Hotel. I had booked thru hotels.com and knew this was incorrect, but we went across the street to the Ambassador Inn. The front desk there said none of the rooms were available yet and I could change my reservation to the Ambassador Hotel for an additional $15. I said I would do that, planning on fighting this charge at check out. We went back to the Ambassador Hotel, checked in, and when I went to check out the following morning, the front desk told me there was no charges. So, this was confusing, but ended up working out okay. Also, we had an issue with our room keys. The room keys did not work right away after check in. This was also resolved, but was annoying.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kristen3218
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

I stayed in a standard queen room and the bed was very comfortable, as was the rest of the room. Very clean, updated and tasteful

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank notcher
milwaukee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in Feb of 2009. I stayed in a standard room, with a queen size bed... The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were as well. It had a nice flat screen TV, but most of the channels were fuzzy so it didn't even make sense to have that kind of TV. The room was a little smaller then expected, with really no space to lounge around. The customer service was good, they were helpful and bubbly... Its decorated nice, but with that decor and all the money they put into it, it lacks a real four star hotel room... I would not go back again, because i think there is better for the same price... it wasn't a horrible experience but at the same time it wasn't a great one either.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AHAdministration, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2009
We value the constructive comments from our guests. We hope that our guests return to the hotel to experience all of the different room types that we have available. Our single queen rooms are the smallest rooms that we have available and make up less than 10% of our room inventory. Our other room types (King, Double Queen, King Whirlpool, etc.) are all larger than the single queen rooms and offer a sitting area with a pull out couch. Unfortunately, the Queen rooms do not offer the extra living space and are a smaller option. The layouts of each of our room types can be viewed online. We hope that guests will use this tool to determine what type of room best suits their needs, as some guests prefer a smaller, more intimate room.

We have also made some exciting improvements to the guest rooms. We have installed new, flat-screen, HD LCD televisions in all of our guest rooms. In addition, we have added other technological upgrades such as on demand video capabilities, an interactive guest directory, internet access through the television. we believe that any problems that may have existed with the old televisions have been resolved.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Very nice, clean updated hotel. Courtesy shuttle to downtown activities. Beautiful, comfortable, and nicely priced. Employees were great

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

I was skeptical of this hotel, being that the neighborhood on the West side isn't the best, but everything was great! The service was good, the rooms are priced lower then one would expect. I was really impressed with the restaurant and bar. Great service with generous portions and the vibe was great with '30-'50 era jazz in the bar. Definitely a gem in Milwaukee! Also, it's only about a 1.5 mile cab ride to Water Street area.

• Liked — The room was big even though the hotel is older.
  • Disliked — Bathrooms are good, but are smaller then many hotels.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
skpke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2008

Two nights recently @ the Ambassador main hotel. Nicely appointed. Accomodating staff. Art Deco lobby and bar with bright coffee bar serving Starbucks. Room spacious, comfortable, bathrooms on the small side I suppose for two people, but sparkled. Flat screen tv, very comfortable bed. Walls a little thin with noisy folks coming in after bar closing but didn't last long. Not much in the neighborhood. Car fire outside the lobby entertaining. Michaels Family Restaurant down the street is a slice of Milwaukee life for breakfast - indoor smoking, Maxwell house coffee, basic bacon and eggs but crowded, lots of interesting characters and waitresses. Corner gasmart for sundries (just once I'd like to find a hotel that didn't charge $6+ for a bottle of water in the room). Would not recommend the Inn annex across the street.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Not much within walking distance
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)