“The Ambassador was great!!”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We booked a weekend get.away so that we could do Summerfest and a Brewer game. Every employee that we encountered was pleasant and helpful. Room was very clean and nicely appointed. The shuttle service to both Summerfest and Miller Park were ideal! We parked our car in their lot and did not move it for 2 days. The neighborhood is not bad as others have written. It is an urban neighborhood. People who have written with objections to it must not get out of suburbia much!
Breakfast at the Envoy was great and the Bloody Marys should not be missed. It was a really great weekend.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,711)

Reviewed June 28, 2008

At check-in I was asked if I had booked my room via Priceline. We had and they must have given us the special "Priceline" room. Small, Small, Small. The area of Milwaukee was not good either. Several different friends of ours booked rooms at different hotels in the downtown area and I would have picked any of those hotels over this one.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights on business in May 2008. Having never been to Milwaukee before I didn't have the highest expectations but it was a decent trip and decent hotel.

The basic room was only $89/night so I decided to upgrade to a King Jacuzzi Suite. The hotel decor was art deco funky but I liked it. It gave the place a little flavor versus the typical Marriott or Hilton Hotel decor. The room was very big and the bed was nice and comfy.

I ordered room service twice while I was there. The menu is pretty limited but I like the fact that you can order something at midnight if you wanted. I also liked how they would call when the order was ready to let you know they were coming upstairs to deliver the food. The staff always seemed professional to me.

I also ate at the lounge bar and it was pretty lively with a few sports game going on the multiple TV's.

The free shuttle that they have is an extra bonus. They will even make arrangements to pick you up at a specific time if you need it. The shuttle drivers were all very nice and full of information on the city. I decided to go to the casino one night, and even tho I lost I still had a fun time. Just don't expect Las Vegas!

The only complaint was the jacuzzi in the room was located in a weird corner. I could never get the temperature right for me. Next time I would pass on the Jacuzzi room.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank bebe624
Reviewed June 22, 2008

This is a very mediocre hotel with overpriced rooms and unprofessional service. The only excellent service was from the bellman. The hotel's decor is charming and historic, which we liked very much. The restaurant, Envoy, also had good food and top notch dessert. Sleeping, however, was a different story. We stayed one night and were woken up at 7:15am by a member of the staff knocking on our door. Apparently he had the wrong room for something. Then, a few minutes later, the fire alarm began going off intermittently until about 9:30am. When I called down to the desk, the staff member stated that the fire marshal showed up to test the alarms and they couldn't do anything about it. Well, that was understandable, but when I went down to check out and told them about the unpleasantness of being woken up early by the person knocking on our door and the irritating fire alarm, I was told that "there isn't anyone on staff here that early that would be knocking on doors." After convincing them that I wasn't crazy, the staff members finally conceded that there may have been one person there that early that could have mistakenly knocked on our door. Hm. Might want to check room numbers before knocking. I didn't complain excessively, argue, or anything of that nature, and I guess simply stating that our experience was unpleasant didn't do much to improve the customer service. I got about 10 rehearsed "I apologize" remarks and frozen smiles. It's a sad situation when one is apparently required to throw a fit - which I don't do- in order to get what I consider to be the basics of good customer service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed at the Ambassador when in town for a Brewer's game. We loved it. We opted for a bigger room which was clean, cozy, and had plenty of space. There was a king sized bed with a soft comforter and SIX pillows. There was a desk, couch, large tv/dvd and bathroom with two sink areas. They provided Aveda shower products and clean robes to use during your stay. We did walk to downtown and it is a bit of a walk. There are tons of city busses that run up and down Wisconsin however. The shuttle to the game was very convenient! We had coffee and bagels at the coffee shop and drinks in the lounge. The lounge was intimate and offered tons of delicious, interesting drinks. The decor is cool. They have menus/photos for the 20's and 30's on the walls. I live in Chicago and wish we had a hotel/lounge like this. I would only stay here when we go to Milwaukee, it was so much better than your typical chain hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I was initially concerned with the hotel's location in "super sketchy neighborhood" and amenities based on prior reviews from tripadvisor. However, these concerns were unfounded. The hotel is very safe (gated parking lot). I drove around the neighborhood (east/west/north/south) and found nothing "sketchy" about the area. The location's only weakness is its distance to downtown. Seemed a bit too far to walk, as it was about 1 mile west of the downtown. (see free shuttle)

My room was very large (room 408) and had everything I needed. Bed was extremely comfortable. Room was kept very clean. Free safety deposit box in the room. DVD players in the room the as well.

The hotel's dinner menu was very good (a bit pricey) and the cafe was excellent. Make a note of stopping at the cafe for a cup of coffee or espresso. Its very quaint and a nice retreat from starbucks/caribou-type cafes, and an excellent way of starting the morning. I did not visit the bar, but it looked like a classy place to have a few night caps.

The decor was wonderful. Particularly the marble reception area and the old-school elevators. The rooms were freshly renovated within the past few years and looked more modern than most chain hotels.

Staff was very helpful and fulfilled my every need. I felt more welcome there than any chain hotel i've ever stayed in. Although most of the staff appeared to be college students (Marquette perhaps?) they were always professional, recognized me on a daily basis, and maintained an aura of service that made me feel like I was back in the 1920's.

I stayed for business purposes and, therefore, did not have a chance to take the shuttle to the city or see many sites.

I had also trouble receiving LAN internet and there is no WiFi in the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Not sure why other reviewers were attacking the decor so much, but I found this hotel to be quite attractive throughout the entire facility.

We booked our hotel on priceline and got an extremely good deal. We called ahead to make sure we had a room with 2 queen beds and found they had upgraded us to a room with 2 queens and a pull out couch.

When we arrived the staff was more then helpful and early check in was a breeze. The room was amazing. Huge even with three beds, two sinks, large TV and dvd player, canned lighting, and great decor. Great beds, great linens, and the room was spotless. Could not have been happier.

I've stayed at other old hotels that had been "fully renovated" and left a lot to be desired. The Ambassador obviously spent a great deal of time and money on making this a truly great place to stay.

The neighborhood seemed a little sketchy but I never once felt threatened or felt my car could be in danger. Marquette University is right at your doorstep so there never seemed to be too much of a threat. Good location between downtown, Miller Park, and the Miller brewery and with the free shuttle, this really was the ideal location for the attractions we wanted. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for an affordable quality hotel with extremely friendly staff. Thanks again for a great stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family