“Charming hotel with helpful staff! Just watch the adjoining rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Milwaukee
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Charming hotel with helpful staff! Just watch the adjoining rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed here due to a good deal on Hotwire- it's a classy art deco hotel that was decorated for the Holidays with a great tree. We even saw Santa on the way out. On the Marquette campus, walking distance to the Pabst Mansion. Free parking which we used with no problems. The neighborhood was fine during daylight but I would not walk around much at night.
The free shuttle was a great perk- got us to a nice dinner and our show at the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. The ride to dinner was a little longer but we were in no hurry and it was neat to see the city lights. Staff suggested a steakhouse we never would have tried- Butch's Old casino steakhouse- so worth it!
Great bar in the hotel. Workout room in the basement was adequate- I used the stationary bike with no problems.
Our room was small, but clean and well laid out- no quibble there for the price. Bed was very comfy. My only complaint was it was an adjoining room, so we were awoken early by two men talking about their travel plans. When I mentioned this at checkout the staff person stated there are a few rooms like that, and hoped we would return.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not adjoining and on a higher floor for more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
bristol, wi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Pros - Bed was very comfortable, room was clean. I was only there one night so I didn't use many of the amenities. Decor was nice and common areas were clean for the most part.

Got room on Hotwire which was advertised as downtown. It's not in the heart of downtown. It's close to Marquette University so it would be very convenient for anyone visiting Marquette.

Cons - Queen rooms are very small. They don't even show the queen room that I stayed in, on their website. The picture on their website is much larger than the one I had. I had relatives stay here last summer and they had the same complaint about their queen room size.

TV didn't work in room, but when I called front desk, they said it was weather related. The TVs at the bar worked so maybe they were on a different system?

It was snowing (or had been) and they didn't provide a clear, snow free walkway to get from the parking struction to the entrance of the hotel. The parking structure is not attached to the hotel building. I had to wheel my suitcase through slushy wet snow to get to the entrance. It was obvious that there had not been any attempt to clear the snow.

Lastly, I got stuck in the parking structure elevator on my departure. Used the call button to contact the hotel but they obviously couldn't hear me. It took it about 3 minutes to finally get to the floor I needed where the doors finally opened.

Room Tip: if getting a queen room, ask for one where the bed isn't 5 inches from the wall.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Terrie D
jjossart, Manager at Ambassador Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback on your recent stay with us. The Ambassador Hotel has many different room types to offer our guests. The photograph of the Boutique Queen room type on our web site is indeed a photo of one of our Boutique Queen rooms. However, based on the location of a particular floor, the room layouts will vary. We strive to provide each guest with the best service in Milwaukee. I am looking forward to speaking with you further regarding your recent stay. We would like to welcome you back to the Ambassador and provide us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
De Pere, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Had to spend the night in Milwaukee and used Hotwire and the Ambassador was the choice. First of all what others have said is true, the neighborhood is not the best but not as bad as some describe IMO. Safe and secure parking and FREE! Beautiful hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful. My room was clean and larger than I expected for an older remodeled hotel. You are just a few miles away from the downtown eateries and bars. They offer a complementary shuttle that will take you where you want to go and pick you up when you are ready to return to the hotel. I will stay there again -- you should too.

The bar was good and the coffee shop serves Starbucks!

Room Tip: Use the FREE shuttle system to see the sights!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Emerging1
Sturgeon Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Ambassador has more charm and character than any other Milwaukee hotel, and the price cannot be beat. Plus, there is ample free parking, making it the best value hotel (at this level) in the city. My husband and I love to stay at the Ambassador when enjoying a "weekend in the city." The art deco lobby and lounge are fabulous! The hotel is a gem. The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. The old-style black and white tile in the bathroom is neat.

The reason I only gave the Ambassador 4-stars is because there were lots of little hairs on the floor behind the door in the bathroom, and the toilet paper stand was covered with a thick layer of dust. Also, the lobby on our floor needed to be vaccuumed terribly. Finally, a few of the letters on the great neon "Ambassador" sign on the top of the hotel were burnt out. I sure hope that the owners are not purposely neglecting maintenance on this wonderful hotel.

Despite these few issues, we will definitely stay at the Ambassador again, and we tell all our family and friends that it's the best place to stay in the city!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vanclaners
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I grew up in Milwaukee and spent a lot of time downtown when I was going to college. I remember the Ambassador Hotel's reputation back then and must say that they did fantastic with the renovations and improvements that were made. You feel like you stepped back into time when you walk into the lobby. The hotel itself is beautiful and the location is very convenient.

Overall, the staff was great, the bar, room we stayed in, and restaurant were all very nice.

I'd stay there again when doing a weekend getaway in Milwaukee.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Appleton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Ambassador many times. The best part is the free shuttle to any downtown location! This past weekend we took the shuttle to dinner at Maders, walked to the Repertory Theatre and then called the shuttle to transport us back to the hotel.

Their new parking ramp was nice, the rooms are comfortable with white noise heating units set to the temperature you want,and they have a little cafe for morning scone and coffee.

We have not been disappointed in our stays at the Ambassador and will continue to make this our hotel of choice when we visit Milwaukee!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

It was an overall great experience. There was some confusion about the shuttle service to the casino, but I love the decor of the hotel. It also has wonderful amenities. I would recommend The Ambassador to all who visit Milwaukee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple