“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
St. Louis
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed the first weekend of September (2012) and it was a great stay overall. The front desk was friendly to answer our questions about parking, breakfast availability, wifi, and directions to places. The room itself (2-bedroom suite) was more than adequate, even though the TV in the living room is rather small. Our room came with a kitchen area, though we didn't fully use it, we saw the kitchen counter and fridge being very clean.

The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. The sofa bed was average, but that's expected any hotel you go. Parking garage isn't the most convenient (2 doors, separate entrance), but it's secure and underground with a daily fee of $17.

There is a little 'market' next to the front counter for snacks, drinks, aspirin and other misc things you might of forgot.

Breakfast was decent with several hot foods served. The bacon was a bit greasy/soft, and the eggs were a bit runny, but the staff kept them hot, and silverware refilled constantly.

Lastly, the location by the riverfront was fantastic. It was an easy walk to downtown and to the art museum. While there's not many people walking around at night, we didn't feel unsafe the entire time.

Room Tip: Corner suite gives you bigger living area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank philotmsu
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
philotmsu, Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown with others. We enjoy hearing that our guests are able to enjoy the amenities that are offered including the full, hot buffet breakfast in the morning. I will also pass on your kind words to the front desk. I am glad to hear that you were also able to take advantage of our location and explore downtown Milwaukee. If you are ever back in Milwaukee, we hope that we will see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We live in world where all we seem to hear are complaints. I am a firm believer in acknowledging good work.

I have had the pleasure of “living” at the Residence Inn Downtown Milwaukee for the last 3.5 weeks whilst on a business trip. Throughout that time, the staff have been courteous, friendly, professional and in all in a completely genuine manner. They have helped me with directions, explained things I don’t understand, catered to my every need immediately, always with a smile, joked and laughed with me and have just been so lovely in every way. From the front desk to the floor staff and cleaning faries – what a team!

In particular, I was super impressed by and could not thank enough:

Ash (day/night staff/front desk)

This girl is a little packet of sunshine. No matter how bad the day has been or how long it has been, I walk into her greeting and smile and I just feel better every single time. She is a lovely girl and I would love to bottle her up and keep her!

Patrick (night staff/front desk)

Being from Australia, it took me a few days to adjust to the time zone and Patrick was a true champion, who kept me company when I couldn’t sleep for the first two nights, kept me laughing and did anything he could to make my first few days here comfortable. I am still fairly young and this is my first long trip away from home by myself and I could not be more grateful to him for helping me through those first few long nights. He is an absolute asset to the company

Lash (cleaning/maintenance crew)

Lash is an incredible and extremely unique gentleman. He introduced himself to me immediately and every time I have seen him since he has greeted me by name, enquired to how my day was and how my trip was going and made sure that I knew just how happy it made him to have bumped into me. His demeanor, friendship and the genuineness he has shown in his dealings with me have far exceeded any expectation you could have of someone who is paid to care for me. I cannot speak highly enough of him.

Even though I am excited to be heading home, I am genuinely sad to leave the hotel (and the hotel service! lol ) and the friends I have made here. They made a long, lonely and difficult business trip so much more bearable and my appreciation for you all is endless. As a company, you are our home whenever our Australian staff come here (which is on a regular basis) and now I understand why we always do and always will come home to the Residence Inn Downtown Milwaukee.

Cheers, The "Australian"

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, its a very pretty scene to wake up to in the middle of summer as th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank TezzaBella
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was a real sleeper (pardon the pun) of a place. We weren’t expecting a place with such a grand presence downtown. Our room set the record for ceiling height (at least 20 feet) and had full kitchens. The location was within walking distance to all of Milwaukee’s (another sleeper find - worth a visit) downtown attractions. Parking was reasonable with in-out privileges and the Wi-Fi was free. The free breakfast, while billed as continental, was a full hot buffet. The only niggle point were the beds, which we found too soft. Other than that, we totally recommend for a young family of four or smaller.

Room Tip: The river side rooms offer a great view, but you may hear the bridge rise in the middle of the night...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank myounder
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
myounder, Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown with others. I am happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. The size of our suites along with the ceiling heights are always a pleasant surprise for those who have never stayed with us. It is also nice to hear that you were able to explore the attractions in the area. Thank you so much for recommending us. If your travels ever bring you back to Milwaukee, we would love to see you again.
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Since the Pfister was full, we decided to stay at the Residence Inn. Our room overlooked the river and we had a suite with kitchenette and living room. Great view!. The accommodations were clean and roomy. The bathroom was large. The location was great, because it was a short walk to the Historic Third Ward, walk out the back door on to the River walk, 15 min hike to the lakefront, and if you are really adventurous you can walk to East Town area. We did have to ask about 2pm on Sat. if someone could clean our room as we were off to the lakefront. Would I stay there again.....yes.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the river!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kggranny
Kggranny, Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at the Residence Inn by Marriott Milwaukee Downtown with others. I am so glad to hear that you were able to explore some of what Milwaukee has to offer with just a short walk from the hotel. We do take pride on the size and cleanliness of our suites. Next time you are in Milwaukee, we would be happy to see you again.
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown in conjunction an ASQ event next door. We had a one-bedroom suite which was really large – larger than rooms at other R.I. we’ve stayed at. The ceilings were high as well, making the room feel even larger. The building as a whole seems a little old (I know it’s a converted department store) and the rooms reflect it a bit (but not overly). The strangest thing I thought was the lack of décor – some walls like the bedroom wall with the door had no art or anything. Made the room feel a little “institutional”. All in all the room was quite comfortable and definitely suited our needs. Both remote controls for the TVs didn’t work but were fixed the next day after we left a note for housekeeping. Breakfast was typical for a R.I. Nothing spectacular, but good enough (lousy eggs like most hotel breakfast eggs). The staff was pretty friendly and helpful. We needed extra towels and they were delivered within ten minutes. The hotel is within walking distance of quite a few good restaurants. Parking was a little tricky with a minivan – the garage spaces are kind of tight and you need to maneuver around large pillars. Parking was $17 per day too. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will probably return next year during the same ASQ event.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lionfan91
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Lionfan91, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. The high ceilings do give the suites an even larger feel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also happy that we were able to quickly fix your remotes and deliver the extra towels that you needed. Our location can’t be beat for exploring the downtown Milwaukee area. We look forward to seeing you next year for you ASQ event.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The front desk staff was incredible. Probably the friendliest and most accomodating I have ever come across when traveling. The hotel is also very nice. The room was very clean and big. The location of the hotel is great if you like Milwaukee, I am not a fan of the city and will probably never return but not because of this hotel. The fitness facility is very nice with up to date equipment and the free breakfast buffett was great with waffles, bagels, toast, eggs, french toast, sausage, potatoes, cereals, juices and a few other items. If you have to go to Milwaukee I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DCtoTB
DCtoTB, Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our front desk staff. They do work very hard to try to make sure every guest has an exceptional experience while staying with us. I will be sure to let them know that their efforts do not go unnoticed. Even though you are not a fan of Milwaukee, I am glad to hear that you did enjoy our hotel.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I am charmed by a hotel carved out of an old 1903 Marshall Fields building. I had a handicapped room. There has been some attention to handrails in the bathroom, but the shower option still involved a standard bathtub/shower which can be difficult to access by some handicapped people. Though I'm not in a wheelchair, I noticed that someone thought to put in a low peep-hole on the door for wheelchair bound guests, but there was no thought about how those wheelchair-bound guests will bathe. The elevators are set to close almost immediately after they open, making me have to throw my arm out to keep the doors from closing before I had a chance to get on. I noticed able-bodied people struggling with this, too. The staff was pleasant and helpful. My room was spacious with 20 foot high ceilings and a wall of windows overlooking the Milwaukee River. The included lavish and well-presented breakfast spread was surprisingly inedible. (Just how did they get scrambled eggs to have the texture of fish roe?) I loved being downtown and the hotel was full during my lengthy stay. Don't order room service. When I did it took an hour and a half to arrive and was just awful-the hot dishes were cold and cold dishes were warm. Yuk.

Room Tip: Don't order room service. Parking is worth the cost. Expect loud party barges to go by on the ri...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveling0225
traveling0225, I am happy to hear that you had a great stay and an enjoyable experience with the staff while staying with us at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown. We are proud of the history of the building. We do have several different types of handicapped suites for our guests, including ones that do offer a roll in shower. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the included breakfast. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen. We are constantly striving to improve the way that we do things.