“Nice hotel, close to everything!”

Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Gainesville, Florida
“Nice hotel, close to everything!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband I traveled to Milwaukee for one day to go to a Brewers game, and we booked at this property for its location and good reviews. I called the hotel the night before to check on our reservation and spoke with a very kind and helpful front desk employee named Kim. She gave me easy directions from the Amtrak station (just a few blocks walk- awesome!) and even upgraded our room to a nice view because we were traveling on our anniversary weekend.

The hotel is very clean and well maintained. The front desk staff is very polite and offered to hold our bags until our room was ready (we got there before noon). They told us about a festival going on downtown (Bastille Days) that we could walk to easily, plus pointed out other landmarks that were worth a visit. Lakefront Brewery was a fun tour that we enjoyed.

Our room had a nice view and beautiful floor to ceiling windows that looked over the river all the way to the art museum. It was a very nice size with high ceilings which made it seem even bigger.

Breakfast was very good and fresh, with plenty of seating. Everything seemed in excellent condition. Another benefit was that check out time is at noon, so we didn't feel rushed in the morning.

The ONLY reason I am not giving this property 5 stars is because the huge windows that I really liked had blackout curtains that didn't quite come all the way together in the middle. That meant that when the sun came up, it got extremely bright in the room. The A/C seemed to hit the curtain just at the wrong spot so the curtains blew a open a little more when it was on, which made it even more annoying. No big deal if the sun is bright at 7 or 7:30 (although I prefer to sleep in even more than that on vacation), but I swear the sun started coming in hours before that. It was impossible to sleep through so we just got up instead.

That's my only complaint- everything else was great. So if you stay here and want to sleep in, make sure your curtains close completely or you may be in for an early rise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ksjennifer
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Ksjennifer, We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with others. I am so glad that we were able to help you enjoy your wedding anniversary. I will be sure to let Kim know that you appreciated her kindness. Summer in Milwaukee is the best time of year because there is always something going on. It is nice to hear that you were able to enjoy Bastille Days and some of the other activities that Milwaukee has to offer. I will definitely let maintenance know about your comment regarding the blackout curtains. If your travels ever bring you back to Milwaukee, we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Forget the overpriced "boutique" hotels in Milwaukee. You will get the same experience at the Residence Inn Downtown Milwaukee. Our room/suite was so big and comfy, and the price was reasonable. The location on the Riverwalk was great. And the staff members were so friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff made a point to say hello when they saw us, and the front desk staff were knowledge about things to do and places to dine. They even told us about the Mo's shuttle to/from the Brewers Game, which saved us a big headache driving to the game and dealing with game night traffic. The front desk staff mailed my postcards and were really top notch. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NuttyGirl323
ResidenceInnMke, Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
NuttyGirl323, Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown with others. It is nice to hear that you had a great experience with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff. It is always nice for them to know that their hard work is appreciated. If there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Another wonderful visit to this beautiful hotel. I try to stay here whenever I'm in Milwaukee. I used to work at Gimbels department store, so I always request a suite on the 7th floor overlooking Wisconsin Avenue, the approximate location of my old office. Although there are many modern amenities, including full kitchens, each room retains the character and high ceilings of the historic old building. Check-in was efficient and friendly with Josh, and I was given my requested room, even though it was Summerfest weekend, and the hotel was at 100% occupancy...although I would not have known, since I never heard any noise from other rooms. We parked across the street at the Grand Ave Mall ($15). Comfy bed, spotless suite. There were beautiful prints on the walls with Gimbels references--I forgot to ask if they were for sale. We walked outside and took the shuttle to Summerfest...the best location! The complimentary breakfast was wonderful, absolutely the fluffiest scrambled eggs I have ever had, and the staff was continually cleaning the area and replenishing the hot food. Check-out a breeze with friendly Andrea at the front desk. The only thing I missed was a Sunday Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper (they had USA Today). Otherwise, can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vicChicago
vicChicago, Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Residence Inn Milwaukee. Since we are located in the historic Gimbel’s Department store building, we love to hear stories about people’s connection to the building. I am glad to hear that we were able to get you your special room. Unfortunately, the prints on the walls are not for sale. It is nice to hear that you had another great experience at our property. Please let me know when you will be returning and we will do everything we can to get your requested suite again.
New York, N.Y.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a very nice hotel in a historic building overlooking the Milwaukee River with a fabulous location. You're in walking distance to the Third Ward, Museum of Art and lake front, and the lovely river walk stroll. I stayed over Memorial Day weekend and got a fabulous deal on a clean, well-appointed room that was quite literally more than twice the size of my New York City apartment.

The enormous windows (approximately 12 feet high!) looked out onto the museum of art adn the lake in the distance. Sadly there was construction down below that marred the view of the river - but not the hotel's fault! Kitchen had everything you could need. And the bed was large and comfy. Just make sure to close those curtains tight if you're on the east side of the hotel! When the sun rose it was blinding!

I found the staff very accommodating. I asked if I could change my room to get a river view, which they did. They also let me check out late so I could work in a morning kayak on the river. Breakfast was a large buffet and certain adequate if not gourmet. (One complaint was the very cheap OJ that tasted mostly like colored water) Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bbright1
Bbright1, I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us over Memorial Day weekend. Our location can’t be beat for exploring the downtown area. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the space and all of the accommodations. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff. They do strive to make sure that every guest has an exceptional experience each and every time they stay with us. If your travels ever bring you back to Milwaukee, we would love to see you again.
Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I called four times to inquire about a reservation. The front desk person, a woman by the name of Shante, put me on hold for 7 minutes, returned to ask why I was calling, then promptly put me on hold for 3 more minutes. I hung up, called back three more times and was put on hold or hung up on. Finally, a person named Ashley who claimed to be the manager answered and was able to help me. Terrible front desk service is inexcusable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank P T
ResidenceInnMke, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
P T, I sincerely apologize for the level of service that you received when calling to inquire about reservation availability. This certainly does not meet your expectations, nor does it meet our standards. While I feel there is no excuse for this level of service, please know that Shante is new to us and only just beginning her training. She will soon be another star on our roster; however, until then it is obvious that we need to address our training strategy. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this situation. I hope that you will reconsider staying at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance in the future.
pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

loved the high high ceilinged rooms! Huge laundry facility as well and better than normal work out facility. great breakfast workers, very sweet & kind!

Room Tip: loved the 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wifeof25years
wifeof25years, Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others about your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your time with us. We would love to see you again if you are ever back in Milwaukee.
Georgetown Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Absolutely great rooms and service. The room had everything you possibly could need and a completely equipped kitchen. The beds are super comfortable. The location is perfect for access to all downtown activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bpl888
Bpl888, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn Milwaukee Downtown. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide everything you needed to make your stay enjoyable. Our location is fantastic for exploring the downtown area and I hope you were able to take advantage of that. Hopefully, we will see you again if you are ever back in Milwaukee.