“Better than expected”

Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
London, UK
“Better than expected”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We only stayed one night in this hotel. What a pleasant surprise. The hotel was much better than I expected based on its star rating. The room was quiet, large, well appointed and clean. Staff were helpful and polite. Great value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We just stayed one night on our way through Milwaukee but thought it was very nice. The front desk clerks were friendly and helpful. We weren't dressed in suits and had no problems! Our room was very clean and comfortable. We didn't eat in the restaurant or use the pool but the pool area was very large and well set-up. The location was great as we had to pick up our daughter from the airport. I'm not a big fan of the old Holidome-type Holiday Inns, this building was much more attractive. Only minor problem was that we could hear some people talking around midnight, not sure if walls are really thin or they were just really loud.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed June 19, 2011

This was my 1st experience at a Holiday Inn, and not a good one. I booked through a 3rd party, so I got a decent rate, otherwise, it would have been a 1* rating.
Check-in was rude, and very dry and unhuman. Questions burned in the desk clerks ears like lava, and his responses were even better. When i grabbed one of the free cookies on the desk, I was given a look like "what kind of scumbag do you think you are, taking these cookies from people who wear button up shirts and ties?!?" So, when I noticed the look, I said, "These are for guests, right? They're not your personal cookies, right?" To which I didn't even get a response. This fu$%er was RUDE, I wanted to hit him. And, NO NAME TAG, so I can't make it personal, lol.
I did notice eventually, that I was a jeans and t-shirt guy, surrounded by monkey suits that tried their hardest to look and sound important, as if anyone cared, but I paid the same as anyone else, and should be treated as such.
Room was basic, at best. the decor is HORRIBLE from the 70's, and not retro, but actually from the 70's. Ugly green and yellows everywhere. Worn and faded. I was especially surprised to have a regular 25" TV in the room. With a name like Holiday Express, and the money they pull in, this was stunning to not have a flatscreen HD TV in the room.
I really expected much better things from such a huge name in the hospitality industry.
The only real upside for me was the service in restaurant/bar. The ladies were nice and attentive, even though I was in shorts and a t-shirt! I ordered a burger, which was actually damn good.
In conclusion....you can do way better around the airport area when in Milwaukee. The Motel 6 looked nicer than this place! No joke.
Unless you like overpriced crap, I would avoid this place.
Maybe it's better if you fit the dress code?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I was at the Hoiday Inn in Casa Grande before coming here & the service there was the best. All the staff were helpfull & I would stay there again. The restraunt was great & the breakfast was great. Here at Milwukee the service was somewhat less than good the staff were ok but the Restraunt was poor service as described below:

1) I was left waiting for 10 minutes before I was attended to & others were served before me. There is enough room here to place a buffet & your clients can choose what they like to eat as well as being served coffee or whatever.
2) I was charged for items I did not order & I was not eligable for the Priorty Club membership as I was in Casa Grande. I did not recieve a free Vouchour here as I did in Casa Grande. I paid a percentage & that to me is'nt satisfactory.
3) The breakfast buffet in Casa Grande gave your clients more varity than here, they have a full buffet where you can help yourself to what ever you desire & coffee is brought to you in a thermos unlike here you just have a mug & that's it.
4) The rooms here are'nt serviced on a daily basis they empty the trash & that's it,in Casa Grande they come & CHANGE everything including bed linen & bath towels.
To conclude matters here I like to say that the Holiday Inn in Casa Grande is far more
superior than here in Milwukee in service & restraunt quality & service. I hope that you will look into this matter between the Inn in Casa Grande & the Inn here in Milwaukee. & not just read this & throw this review into the trash& forget about it.
Kindest regards
Joe Viscuso

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I was given a room that was not supplied with shampo in the bathrooms. Also the room came with a coffee maker but could not be used because the coffee provided was mad for another maker. This should no have been a problem so I called down to the front desk to explain and the cleric apologized but did not seem to be able ti fix the problem or cared to. If the little things can not be corrected it makes be wonder about bigger issues and the overall condition o this hotel and the rooms upkeep.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Protraveler5
Cincinnati
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I have stayes her in the past, but it has been a couple years and I have always had a good experience until now.. When I arrived I was given the key and the housekeeper was cleaning the room when I arrived. The nod-smoking room had a strong smell of smoke. The ceiling had damage from a roof leak that was not properly repaired, the wireless internet had very little signal and was very slow, the tv was very old and did not have in room movies. The final straw was when I checked out both of the coffee containers were empty.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Airport in Milwaukee on a Tuesday night while in town to meet some friends at the Wisconsin State Fair. While searching for a place to stay, I saw on their website that they were pet-friendly (I was traveling with my two medium sized dogs) and they had a $25 pet fee. VERY REASONABLE!

Everything was great upon check in, they moved me to a room on the first floor near the door so it was easy to take my pups in and out. They have a large grassy area for walks away from the main road and the hotel is gorgeous. I am not sure when they opened, but they look brand new. The staff upon check in was great. The room was spacious and clean. It even had a microwave and mini-fridge in the room!

When I went to check out on Wednesday morning, I looked at my receipt under my door and saw a $50 pet fee. I thought I recalled the fee only being $25, so I looked at their website again. Sure enough, to quote directly from their website: "Our Pampered Pet program allows for domestic pets under 80 lbs. Goodie bag for your pet upon arrival. A $25 non refundable pet fee is collected at the time of check in. Pet Deposit: 25 USD per stay"

When I pulled up their website on my iPhone at check out questioning the girl working the desk on the fee. She said "It's $25 per dog. That's our policy." I said, "But that's not what your website says" She responded with "that's our policy."

I was quite upset, as I was on vacation for the entire week and had planned my budget accordingly and now was assessed an extra $25 that I was not expecting.

The hotel was gorgeous and I would be happy to stay there again ... WITHOUT my dogs. I know that it doesn't take twice the cleaning to clean up the room for two dogs versus one dog. The part that upset me the most was the girl at the desk at check out would not even acknowledge that their website says $25 per stay --- NOT PER DOG.

I asked the girl how I would have known that it was per dog and not an overall fee. She said "All of our guests that travel with their dogs know it's per dog." So I asked her "How do they know??? It's NOT what your website says!! She was very snippy.

Even if that is their policy, I should have been 1) notified at check in so I was not surprised and 2) have the policy stated correctly on their website so I was informed up front and I could budget appropriately.

I would recommend the hotel for just a regular stay, but I would NOT recommend if you're traveling with a pet. CALL and ask them their policy before booking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo