“Bikes and Beer Tour”

Milwaukee County Zoo
Ranked #13 of 191 things to do in Milwaukee
Reviewed September 2, 2013

On a sunny day we decided to stop at the zoo. Little did we know so did all the local schools for the end of the school year. The zoo is so large that this did not seem to be a problem. This zoo is well spread out with many different animals. The only thing I did not care for that some of the exhibits you had to pay extra for so I felt 'nickeled and dimed" by the end of the day. Overall, I would say put this on your list of things to do in Milwaukee!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)
All reviews
"big cats"
in 44 reviews
"sea lion show"
in 37 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"a la carte"
in 73 reviews
"enclosures"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This zoo is very nice. It starts out with paying for your entrance to the zoo the same time you pay to park- so nice not to have to wait in line a second time! The park is very clean and there are a lot of things to do for all age groups. Though very reasonably priced there are add ones for things such as the train ride, camel rides, feeding the animals, rope climbing, etc.
We will definitely be going again!

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We took the grand kids to the zoo and had a wonderful day. The exhibits were entertaining and educational. We got there at ten and left at four and still did not manage to do it all. We we on a Wednesday and it was not crowded. Although there is a price for parking and admission I did not feel that it was overpriced The kids wanted to try the huge jungle gym and they were not disappointed They also enjoyed touching the sharks and sting rays. I was very pleased with the sea lion show for $2.00. However. I think the gal collecting the tickets should have been working at the grizzly bear area as she was kind of cranky All in all it was a very nice day.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I along with our daughter and granddaughter spent a whole day at the Milwaukee County Zoo and wished we had gotten there earlier than we did because there was so much to do and see. This is an excellent place to spend a whole day of fun and family time together. We also ate lunch there and considering it is a zoo, the prices were very reasonable and the food was very good. Fun, fun, fun!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Ever want to feed a giraffe without actually being a possible meal for a lion?

Well, instead of having to into the wild and taking your chances, visit the Milwaukee Zoo and buy a ticket.

Feeding giraffes is one of the visitor-centric things people can do at the zoo.

Our start at the zoo wasn’t too impressive. It opened at 9 a.m., so we thought getting there a few minutes earlier would help beat the crowds. Well…you sit in your car waiting until the gates open at 9 a.m. Then, they charge $12 for parking. Not impressed with that.

We have an Omaha zoo membership, so we received a 50% discount on the actual entrance fee. Instead of $11.75 per son, it was $11.75 for both of us. With parking, it was $23.75. I’m never impressed when a zoo charges parking, probably since Omaha has free parking. I don’t think they need to charge $12 for parking. Maybe $5 if you have to charge at all. Off my soap box.

One thing I liked at the entrance is the guest photo they take. People stand in front of a green screen and get a picture taken. Then, they can choose a background from the zoo to have in the picture. Unfortunately, it’s very organized. We walked in a different door and didn’t see the picture area until we were actually on our way out.

This sounds like I didn’t like the zoo, huh? Overall, I did enjoy it. I used to be a zoo snob and not think any other zoo was worth checking out since we have one of the best – if not the best – in the United States. But, after recent trips, we have found other zoos offer some interesting takes that the Henry Doorly does not in Omaha.

We enjoyed the chance to feed the giraffes. It costs $10 per person, but the funds raised go toward bringing other animals to Milwaukee.

The zoo guides are very detailed in explaining how to feed the giraffes. No quick hand movement because that may send a signal that eating time is over and the giraffes will leave the feeding area.

You can’t pet or touch the giraffes. That’s understandable. They’re not pets.

It was a nice experience. I gave them some graham crackers and tried to take their pictures at the same time. They have a long tongue (about 18 inches long). The front half is black. They wrap the tongue around the food and then pull it into their mouth. We also fed them some leaves, so they had a balanced meal. They offer the feeding twice a day.

The zoo, overall, is has a nice layout. Exhibits are easy to find and the animals are accessible.

Just inside the entrance is a penguin pool. When we arrived, only one penguin was outside swimming. Later, about a dozen joined it. Some swam. Others stood on the rocks, appearing to talk to one another.

From the penguin point, you have three directions to go to start your zoo experience. They all end up in the same area eventually, but the views are different along the way.

We started at the far end and decided to work our way around. As we walked under the train bridge (what zoo does have a family-friendly train?), we came across a couple of ground squirrels. They scurried up to visitors, waiting for someone to drop or toss some popcorn in their direction. They were not disappointed as the family in front of us gave them something to eat. They grabbed their food and ran off to a safe distance to eat.

A cool attraction for the zoo was the grizzly bears. Two grizzly bears were lounging near hammocks in the shade. One grizzly was lying in a hammock. It was cute. The other seemed too tuckered out to even care if he made it to the hammock or not.

A caribou exhibit was entertaining. Some of the younger ones were lying in the tall grass, seemingly playing “Marco, Polo.” You could see their head and their antler racks.

The zoo offers a glimpse of fish native to Wisconsin in their aquarium. Nice to see all of the fish friends would love to have on the end of their fishing rods.

We eventually made our way over to the African animals. Zebras shared a corral near the hyenas. I half expected the hyenas to jump their fence and go after the zebra.

In addition to the animal exhibits, the Milwaukee Zoo offers guests an opportunity to fly above the trees on a zipline or climb higher than the trees on a rope-walking course.

1  Thank Mustangdad1961