“We loved it”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Milwaukee Erie
Description: Tulip aspires to introduce Turkish cuisine to the Milwaukee area. It is housed in the old Gas Light Building in the historic Third Ward. The warm cream city brick walls, coupled with the red hues of the onyx bar make for an inviting and panache atmosphere. The menu entices you to indulge on Turkish delights, such as eggplant puree, fried cheese roll, lamb chops and shish kebabs. Freshly made pita bread and baklava are awaiting you. Accent your dining with an excellent choice of wines, Turkish beer and martinis. No meal can go unfinished without sampling the famous Turkish coffee or Tea.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This resturant prepared our food pallet for our trip to Turkey. We will go back again hopefully soon. We both had very good meals. And liked the wine choice that our waiter suggested to us. We thought that he was very good to us and when we told him that we were going to Turkey he suggested some places to visit to us.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have been to Tulip several times since it opened. Turkish food is my favorite, so I keep going back.

My daughter ordered the sigara böreği. My only complaint is that she didn't share! I just wonder why they serve them with a small side of marinara sauce?

Twice when we have gone (including tonight) they were out of meat for döner kebabs! What Turkish restaurant runs out of döner kebab meat at 6:30 when they open at 5 and don't serve lunch??? I was really disappointed because I wanted to order the Iskender kebab, which is made with döner kebab meat. My second choice was the Adana kebab, which I have also had here, but at the last second I changed to the manti. Mistake--when they arrived there were only 15 manti! I can easily eat three times that many! The total mass of manti was less than the side of rice on everybody elses' plates with their dinners!

The service at Tulip is always slow. If you go there, you know you are going to be in for a long wait compared to other restaurants. This does not excuse the service we witnessed tonight. We had to ask for bread. We received only 1 basket for 5 people, and it was never refilled. The worst, though, was the service at the table next to us. The people at the table ordered their food, and 45 minutes later, they still had not been served, so they went to the bar to ask for their food to go. Twenty minutes later, still nothing. They finally got their food and left in a hurry after paying.

After our dinner, our server brought our bill to the table and didn't even ask if we wanted dessert! Again, I was disappointed because I really wanted dessert and I was still hungry, but the rest of my group just wanted to leave, so we did.

I love the food at Tulip. It's tasty, but I don't know if I can keep going back, given all the other factors.

1  Thank monsieur66
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Mediterranean cuisine served in an very upscale setting and quite flavorful. Drinks and food were fairly reasonable, the presentation is excellent and for $70 we had a delicious dinner. My friend ordered the macadamia-encrusted tilapia dish and it was outstanding. My beef shish was a bit chewy, but that is how I like it, so be prepared. There was also a whole skewer of grilled veggies with the two skewers of meat. Absolutely enough to eat. We shared a succulent salad and an appetizer of cheese stuffed phyllo. It was a bit sad and rather tasteless even with the salty sauce. Nice white sangria and a waitress that was charming and very accommodating. Beautiful lamps over the bar area and a great large setting which is nicely noise tempered. I recommend this for a nice evening out and something different than the usual downtown places.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

The atmosphere offers a contemporary take on Turkish decor and cuisine. Everything is very simple and elegant, including the food plating. The lamb shish was excellent, as well as the eggplant ( with red peppers, onion, and pine nuts). A bit oily, but with quality olive oil, who cares? We also had the stuffed grape leaves - served cold with pine nuts, cinnamon, and currents. The only reason I didn't give this restaurant five stars is because they didn't serve apple tea - a must when in Istanbul! The wine was also a bit pricey - $9 per glass; but it was good. The Turkish white was crisp with good hints of the fruit.

1  Thank travelin-hoosier
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Ordered the combo for two, great value and plenty of food. A great restaurant in Milwaukee.