“short and sweet”

Great Lakes Distillery
Ranked #9 of 182 things to do in Milwaukee
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Great Lakes Distillery is a small-batch distillery located in Milwaukee Wisconsin. We hand-craft award winning distilled spirits in limited quantities using old world methods and traditions which we believe result in a superior product. We’re a bit of an anomaly in the spirits business - we actually make our own products! We’re a handful of people devoted to the craft of distilling and creating the best distilled spirits possible. As Wisconsin's first distillery since prohibition we are anxious to share our unique products and look forward to meeting people who appreciate high quality craft distilled spirits. Give us a try and see for yourself how unique these hand crafted spirits can be. We are pleased to be able to open our distillery to the public everyday for tours. During our approximately 1 hour tour, visitors will learn about our award winning products, how & why we make them and receive a flight of five products to try (complimentary soda is available for non-drinkers).
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The tour was informative that included one stop (the Still). Our guide Michael was good at his job and turned the group over to Valarie who was the sampling bartender. Both of these employees were pleasant and we aould definately return.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Although it was only limited to one room, the tour was very informative. Mike explained the distilling process very well and also talked about some of the history, which included Prohibition, etc . We did do the sampling, which gave us a chance to try their spirits.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I'm not sure I would call this a "tour" so much as a tasting room experience. The distillery itself is one room. You can take the entire tour standing still.

However, the staff are well-informed about their product. They are also very generous with their tasting pours. This weekend, we got to taste their: vodka, lemon vodka, gin, whiskey, rum and absinthe. The pours are about the size of a shot in volume.

The location has a bar & shop on-site. No reservations were needed. The tours started on time.

The best part of the tour was actually the people watching outside. As I stood in the distillery, I watched the oddest assortment of things go by behind the tour guide. A weird looking stray dog stopped to pee on the distillery. Then a guy went by on an old-timey looking giant bike. More weirdness followed. I think the tour guide assumed I'd had one too many, because all of this was behind his back on the street outside. He was standing in front of an open door.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have been to the Great Lakes Distillery on a few ocassions and often try to take visitors from out of town here. While their place is small, it lends to a very intimate experience. I love getting the sampler of liquors at the end of the tour. There is definitely a difference between quality liquor and cheap liquor, and this tour will help you realize that. Their spirit made from Lakefront's Pumpkin Ale is one of my favorite spirits of all time, and I get some every year before they run out. Overall, it's a great tour that everyone should make time to attend.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Don't go if it is above 90 degrees because the distillery shop floor will be even hotter. It was unbearably hot which is too bad since the tour guide was very entertaining. Since they had over 100 people on the tour the tasting also was held in the sweat shop..... Four of us escaped to the ACed bar and did a stealth tasting there. There are not many distilleries to visit so this is a unique experience.

1  Thank Fondue4two